Quebec Chapter Report 2012
Jump to navigation Jump to search
The printable version is no longer supported and may have rendering errors. Please update your browser bookmarks and please use the default browser print function instead.
Quebec Local Chapter Report for 2012
- Contact name: Daniel Morissette (for the Quebec Local Chapter Steering Committee)
- The highlight of 2012 was the Rendez-vous OSGeo-Quebec 2012 in Saguenay on October 17-18, organized in collaboration with VisionGeomatique 2012. This second edition of Rendez-vous OSGeo-Quebec consisted in a dedicated stream of open source talks as part of the program of the larger VisionGeomatique event (~350 visitors), and the OSGeo-Qc room was packed for both days of the event.
- Held local meetings around the province:
- August 30, 2012: Participation in a Geo-5@7 in Quebec City to promote Rendez-vous OSGeo-Quebec 2012
- Elections for the Quebec Local Chapter Steering Committee took place between February 12 and 19, 2013 (yes, that's 2013, so we were a little late). The current steering committee members for 2012-2013 are:
- Daniel Morissette (2008-2014)
- Thierry Badard (2008-2014)
- Simon Mercier (2009-2013)
- Jean-Denis Giguère (2011-2013)
- One seat was not filled (will be proposed again during the 2013 election process)
Areas for Improvement
- We need to come back to holding more regular meetings/events around the province to keep the momentum going.
Opportunities to Help
- OSGeo-Qc's participation in Geomatics 2013 (October 3-4 2013) will offer lots of opportunities for people interested in contributing:
- Join the organizing committee
- Answer the upcoming call for presentations and share your work with your peers
- Help with specific tasks
- Register for the event and join us in Montreal in October!
Outlook for 2013
- The main activity of 2013 will be OSGeo-Quebec's participation in Geomatics 2013 in Montreal (October 3-4 2013, website URL not available yet)
- We will also continue to hold local meetings ("5 à 7") around the province with 2-3 15 minute presentations each time