Quebec Chapter Report 2012
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Quebec Local Chapter Report for 2012
- Contact name: Daniel Morissette (for the Quebec Local Chapter Steering Committee)
- The highlight of 2012 was the Rendez-vous OSGeo-Quebec 2012 in Saguenay on October 17-18, organized in collaboration with VisionGeomatique 2012. This second edition of Rendez-vous OSGeo-Quebec consisted in a dedicated stream of open source talks as part of the program of the larger VisionGeomatique event (~350 visitors), and the OSGeo-Qc room was packed for both days of the event.
- Held local meetings around the province:
- August 30, 2012: Participation in a Geo-5@7 in Quebec City to promote Rendez-vous OSGeo-Quebec 2012
- Elections for the Quebec Local Chapter Steering Committee took place between February 12 and 19, 2013 (yes, that's 2013, so we were a little late). The current steering committee members for 2012-2013 are:
- Daniel Morissette (2008-2014)
- Thierry Badard (2008-2014)
- Simon Mercier (2009-2013)
- Jean-Denis Giguère (2011-2013)
- One seat was not filled
Areas for Improvement
- We need to come back to holding more regular meetings/events around the province to keep the momentum going.
Opportunities to Help
- OSGeo-Qc's participation in Geomatics 2013 (October 3-4 2013) will offers lots of opportunities for people interested in contributing:
- Join the organizing committee
- Answer the upcoming call for presentations and share your work with your peers
- Help with specific tasks
- Register for the event and join us in Montreal in October!
Outlook for 2013
- The main activity of 2013 will be OSGeo-Quebec's participation in Geomatics 2013 in Montreal (October 3-4 2013, website URL not available yet)
- We will also continue to hold local meetings ("5 à 7") around the province with 2-3 15 minute presentations each time