The purpose of this partnership is to establish a collaborative relationship between the Open Source Geospatial Foundation (OSGeo) and the Global Land Tool Network (GLTN). One of the geospatial tools developed by GLTN under the lead of the United Nations Habitat office is the Social Tenure Domain Model (STDM). It is based on a data model implemented using Postgres and PostGIS and a front end plugin based on QGIS.
Role of OSGeo
This partnership will allow GLTN partners to fund individuals through OSGeo to join forces on projects, collaborate on the software, take part in meetings, conferences, workshops, etc.
Arnulf Christl will act as a liaison between the two organizations.
The Global Land Tool Network (GLTN) is an alliance of global regional and national partners contributing to poverty alleviation through land reform, improved land management and security of tenure particularly through the development and dissemination of pro-poor and gender-sensitive land tools.
Secure land tenure and property rights are fundamental to shelter and livelihoods as well as the realization of human rights, poverty reduction, economic prosperity and sustainable development.
GLTN's main objective is to contribute to poverty alleviation and the Millennium Development Goals through land reform, improved land management and security of tenure.
UN-Habitat continues to work towards these objectives through GLTN with partners who include international civil society organizations, international finance institutions, international research and training institutions, donors and professional bodies.
Most developing countries use conventional land administration systems which cover less than 30 per cent of the country, leaving up to 70 per cent of citizens looking to informal and/ or customary approaches for their tenure security.
While there are many examples of good land policies, there are few policies that have been fully implemented due to lack of pro-poor, gender sensitive and large scale land tools. Further, conventional land titling approaches have largely failed to deliver their expected results since existing technical solutions are too expensive, inappropriate for the range of tenure found in developing countries, unsustainable financially or in terms of available capacity, and instead a range of land tenure options is more appropriate. OUR CORE VALUES
Core Values and Principles
GLTN's core values and principles are founded in the development of land tools that are;
- pro poor,
- good governance,
- systematic large scale and
- gender sensitive