Edu current initiatives
2012-2013 OSGeo Education and Curriculum Current Initiatives
1) Continue to build up our educational material federated content databases
OSGeo edu's educational content metadatabase -- a place for metadata and links to external material we are posting on our own websites
University of Nottingham's educational content database (ELOGeo) -- a place for us to store education content (the source code) to share
2) Continue to expand the ICA-OSGeo Labs Network
This effort is led by Suchith Anand at the University of Nottingham, UK.
In September 2011, the Open Source Geospatial Foundation (OSGeo) and the International Cartographic Association (ICA) signed a Memorandum of Understanding with the aim of developing on a global basis collaboration opportunities for academia, industry and government organizations in open source GIS software and data. The MoU aims to provide expertise and support for the establishment of Open Source Geospatial Laboratories and Research Centres across the world for supporting development of open-source geospatial software technologies, training and expertise. It also aims to provide support for building-up and supporting development of open source GIS teaching and training materials, joint organization of open source GIS events, workshops through the ICA network for wider participation globally etc. Details at MOU_ICA.
Map of the ICA-OSGeo Labs(thanks to Franz-Josef)
It is really good to see our rapidly expanding global spread.
Feel free to join the mailing list http://lists.osgeo.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/ica-osgeo-labs to follow the discussions among the participants of this initiative.
The current list of labs in the network are:
- University of Nottingham, UK http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/ngi/research/geospatial-science/geospatial-science.aspx
- University of Girona, Spain http://www.sigte.udg.edu/ , Coordinates: 41°59′04″N 02°49′16″E
- University of Southampton, UK http://www.osgl.soton.ac.uk/ coordinates: 50.933882,-1.396658
- Czech Technical University in Prague, Czech Republic http://geo.fsv.cvut.cz/gwiki/Osgeorel
- Newcastle University, UK http://research.ncl.ac.uk/osgeolab/ coordinates: 54.981189 -1.614617
- Laboratorio di Geomatica , Politecnico di Milano, Italy, http://geomatica.como.polimi.it/index.php?lang=en
- University of Warwick, UK http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/sci/lifesci/research/facilities/geolab/
- UNEP/GRID-Warsaw Centre, Poland http://www.gridw.pl [new website under development]
- Federal University of Paraná, Brazil http://www.geomatica.ufpr.br/index.html [new website under development, Coordinates: 25°26'54"S, 49°13'51"W
- São Paulo State University (UNESP), Brazil http://www.unesp.br/ [process of being established]
- National Amazonian University of Madre de Dios (UNAMAD), Peru [process of being established]
- Universidad de la República, Uruguay http://ltaat.fcien.edu.uy [new website under development, Coordinates: 34°52'54.87"S, 56° 7'2.10"O]
- North Carolina State University, USA http://gis.ncsu.edu/osgeorel/, Coordinates: 35°46′54.14″N 78°40′33.79″W
- University of Massachusetts Amherst, USA http://www.umass.edu/ [new website being established]
- Information Center for the Environment, University of California, Davis, USA http://ice.ucdavis.edu/[in process of being established]
- Laboratorio de Software Libre, Zacatecas, Mexico http://www.cozcyt.gob.mx/labsol/ [in process of being established]
- UNMC, Malaysia [website in development] http://www.nottingham.edu.my/Geography/Newsitems/Establishing-Open-Source-Geospatial-Lab.aspx
- Universiti Teknologi Malaysia (UTM), Malaysia http://www.utm.my/ [process of being established]
- National College of Public Administration and Governance (NCPAG), University of the Philippines [process of being established]
- Environmental Science for Social Change (ESSC), Philippines [process of being established]
- Lab for Spatial Informatics , IIIT Hyderabad, India http://lsi.iiit.ac.in/labinfo/
- Geospatial Research and Education Lab (GREL), Institute of Space Technology (IST), Islamabad., Paksitan [Website under construction]
- University of Pretoria ,South Africa http://www.up.ac.za/cgis
- Regional Centre for Mapping of Resources for Development (RCMRD), Kenya http://www.rcmrd.org/ [process of being established]
- University of Ghana, Ghana [process of being established]
- University of Melbourne, Australia [process of being established]
Interested in adding your own node into the ICA-OSGeo Labs network?
As the lab network is expanding fast ,we have also setup nodal contacts for each regions
- Anne Ghisla - Asia & Australia
- Helena Mitasova - North America
- Charlie Schweik - South America
- Suchith Anand - Europe & Africa
Email Suchith.Anand at nottingham.ac.uk and cc Helena Mitasova [hmitaso at ncsu.edu], Charlie Schweik [cschweik at pubpol.umass.edu], Anne Ghisla [a.ghisla at gmail.com] to start the conversation and they will be happy to discuss details and guide you through the process.
The key requirements for establishing a local OSGL are:
(A) Both parties should work for the vision of the ICA-OSGeo MoU to develop collaboration opportunities for academia, industry and government organizations in open source GIS software and data in the future.
(B) Someone at your institution or organization should have a strong Geospatial knowledge and vision to lead this activity and build a team of people, locally.
(C) There should be a website established for your Open Source Geospatial Laboratory listing current research, people, and training information. This web presence will allow the other nodes in the network and others to understand and promote your local efforts around research and teaching of open source geospatial technologies and approaches.
From our end, we will promote the initiative widely through both OSGeo and ICA channels to help build up collaboration opportunities for the future. We will also do a joint press release to announce the initiative and start building collaborations. A primary collaborative initiative continues to be the creation and maintenance of shared open access educational resources (for example the ELOGeo platform). We will also add the info of all labs in the Open Geospatial Lab network node site within OSGeo website so that all participating labs urls are added and linked.
We especially welcome applications from universities, educational institutes, government organisations in developing countries to help develop capacity building in geospatial education by establishing Open Source Geo Labs.
- Next meeting
- ICA OSGeo Lab Network 2013-09-05 18.00 UTC
- Past Meetings