Italiano Chapter Report 2008
Jump to navigation Jump to search
- Contact name: Massimo di Stefano
- substantial grassroots activities (with 20 events in one year, mostly in Northern and Central Italy)
- First edition of the GFOSS day held in Pontedera in November (130 participants).
This event does not replace the traditional GRASS/GFOSS meeting, typically held in the first months of the year with a focus on research & development and a strong participation of the academic community.
- media coverage, with presence in radio and magazines
- increase in registered members
- formal action (ISTAT), with the support of ASSOLI
- ECDL GIS: preparation of a test for GIS certification, based on QGIS
- substantial support to the OpenStreetMap project in the first part of 2008 (January-July)
- liaison to other organizations and institutions (OpenStreetMap, Italian PostgreSQL user group)
- election of new board (February), after
Areas for Improvement
- any weaknesses in process, software, management, etc. that you plan to address or recognise need some help
- OSGEO liaison can be further consolidated (new liaison officer appointed in Feb 2009)
- some administrative issues still to be cleared
Opportunities to Help
- list areas that could use some help from members and readers of the report
Outlook for 2009
- Hackmeetings are in the process of being planned. We expect to hold one or two events during 2009.
- Second edition of the GFOSS day to be held in Bolzano, 11 Nov 2009
- Interest in providing additional momentum in Italy, and in connection with other European chapters, towards FOSS4G 2010