OSGeo Portal Translations
Adding a Translated Page
This description only applies for normal web pages of content type 'page' - not to events or news items. Check the Portal Translation Status Wiki to find out which pages are still in need of translation.
- A user with 'translator' role must log in through the http://www.osgeo.org/user page. (see next section re: User / Roles)
- Navigate to the page of interest and a small tab above the content should appear, with the label 'translations'
- Note: Do NOT press the EDIT tab for the default English page or change the LOCALE setting for the page. You must go to the translations tab only and edit your copied page directly.
- The translations tab shows a small table where each language has a row, find the row for your language
- If the translation has not yet been created for this page, it will be listed with an option to 'create translation', click the link to do so. Note: once you click on 'create translation' it will create a new page that is a copy of the default english page, whether you continue to edit it or not.
- If a translation has already been started there will be a title listed under the title column. To edit that translation click on that title in the table.
- Enter in information, save page
- Go to Portal Translation Status and update what you did. You will need to create another user account to use this wiki website.
The translation is now done and the next time someone views the default english page, they can then click on your language in the language selection menu on the lower left menu. After this it should run seamlessly.
User / Roles
A Role in Drupal is similar to a group of users in other systems - a user belongs to one of more roles that provide access to certain functionality, abilities or privileges. A special role called translator has been created for use by contributors who would like to translate content on the site. Once the role is assigned to a user they can modify the translations of any page. Here is how it is done:
- After creation of user is complete you must edit the user profile. Find the appropriate one on the admin/user page and press 'edit' under the 'operations' column.
- Find the section that lists available roles - check the box next to 'translator' and then press 'submit' button at bottom of page.
- The user should now be able to log in and create some new content.