Toronto Code Sprint 2009
Get together project members to make decisions and tackle larger problems. We have chosen a mid-North American location because this code sprint is targeting members of the "C Tribe" (eg, Mapserver, GRASS, GDAL, Proj, PostGIS, MapGuide) and many members of the "C Tribe" are clustered in the area. Toronto is also a major travel hub, for sprinters traveling from afar. Other tribes are welcome to join the sprint, of course, but we hope that "C Tribe" members will give this event special consideration.
We have received support from five sponsors, each providing a $500 sponsorship that will be put towards venue, internet and lunch costs.
Thanks to our sponsors!
The event budget is available here. Any surplus at the end of the event will be turned over to OSGeo.
When: Saturday March 7 - Tuesday March 10, 2009.
Duration: Four days from approximately 9am-4pm
Bond Place Hotel
65 Dundas Street East
Telephone: +01 416 362 6061
Toll Free: 1 800 268 9390
Fax: +01 416 360 6406
When reserving, please specify "OSGeo" as the block name. There are 15 rooms under block name "OSGeo" or booking #12896. The block rate is $79/night.
Booking code "TEN" on the web site has an even lower rate ($75) than our block. There are a limited number of these internet specials.
Participants should plan for the following costs:
- Travel to Toronto, variable depending on where you are.
- Accommodation for four nights, $160 to $400 depending on what room you choose and whether you room share.
- Shared venue cost, $50 to $0 depending on whether we can arrange sponsors.
- Meals. Dinners at least, we may be able to cover lunches/morning snacks if we can find sponsors.
Please join the mailing list at:
We are planning for attendance of 20-40. Please add your name and the projects you are hoping to sprint on, if you have a strong intention to attend.
- Paul Ramsey (PostGIS, Mapserver, Proj) attendance confirmed
- Tom Kralidis (MapServer, Mapbuilder) attendance confirmed
- Frank Warmerdam (GDAL/OGR, PROJ.4, MapServer, QGIS, OSGeo4W) attendance confirmed
- Thomas Bonfort (MapServer) attendance confirmed
- Howard Butler (MapServer, GeoDjango, GDAL, CS-Map, spatialreference.org) attendance confirmed
- Jeff McKenna (MapServer docs, MS4W) attendance confirmed (booked someone's couch)
- Steve Lime (MapServer) attendance confirmed
- Daniel Morissette (MapServer, GDAL/OGR)
- Yewondwossen Assefa (MapServer)
- Andrew Ross (or someone else from Ingres) (GEOS, GDAL/OGR, Proj.4, CS-Map)
- Denise MacLeod (GEOS)
- Chuck Thibert (GEOS)
- Michael P. Gerlek (GDAL & liblas) attendance confirmed
- Leo Hsu and Regina Obe (PostGIS, GEOS, Mapserver) Can attend Saturday only
- Olivier Courtin (PostGIS, TinyOWS) attendance confirmed
- Stefan Steiniger (OpenJUMP, I know it's a Java project... but it would be a reason to visit Toronto, so let's see ;)
- Mark Cave-Ayland (PostGIS)
- Julien-Samuel Lacroix (MapServer)
- Perry Nacionales (MapServer docs) attendance confirmed
- Extra items that would be useful (please sign up if you can bring)
- Wireless hub
- Wireless hub
If you would like to room share,
- Reserve a room at the hotel, choosing a type with more than one bed.
- Put your name in this section, indicating the amount of space in your room.
Put your names below:
- Steve Lime has a double room, needs a roommate.
- example entry: B has a triple room, needs two roommates.
- Bring your own computer
- Install subversion and the compiler tools, and come with a working development environment if possible.