United Kingdom Chapter Report 2008
Jump to navigation Jump to search
UK Local Chapter
- Contact name: Jo Cook
- Although the chapter was first mentioned in 2006, this was the first year that we started to really do something with it.
- Mainly through presenting at various conferences, seminars and workshops, membership increased from a notional 3 to approx 50.
Areas for Improvement
- We need to improve our web presence, and are working towards this by arranging pages on the main OSGeo website.
- We need to produce printed literature supporting the OSGeo cause and that of the local chapter.
- We need to keep the momentum going and continue to raise the profile of the group.
Opportunities to Help
- Sign up at the wiki and come to the conference in June 2009!
- Identify opportunities for the chapter members to meet up, or present on OSGeo.
- Help find case studies on succesful transitions to, or use cases for, open source GIS.
Outlook for 2009
- Official recognition for the chapter (in January 2009)
- The first UK open source GIS conference, in Nottingham, on 22nd June 2009, in conjunction with the University of Nottingham Centre for Geospatial Science! This should be a great day, with lots of really interesting presentations and workshops.
- Continuing efforts to raise the profile of open source GIS as a viable alternative for individuals, academics and business use, particularly in the light of the UK government's pledge to use more open source software.