2010 California Chapter Annual Report
This wiki page has been set-up so we can collect information on chapter activities in 2010 for the OSGeo Annual Report. Please contribute and help Landon get the report put together.
- CGS 2010 May 1, Fullerton
- AAG 2010 April 2010, Washington, D.C.
- Where 2.0
- SCALE 2010 Feb 19-21, Los Angeles
- Continued work on GPX2 module for Geotools.
- Continued work with volunteer OSGeo Journal Team.
- Started the San Francisco GeoMeetup which has grown into a highly focused geo developer bi-monthly event with 450+ geo devs from various Bay Area big and small companies. The meetings can draw 100+ attendees and have had sponsorship from O'Reilly, SimpleGeo, CBS Interactive, xCubeLabs, Trulia, Eventbrite, etc. Our first meeting was an Introduction GIS and OSGeo by Ragi together with a presentation by Josh Livni from Google. The presentations usually heavily promote OSGeo. Brian has started to give away OSGeo Live DVDs as a prize to the correct answers to his Trivia Section of the GeoMeetup where he asks questions about the presentations - very amusing and highly effective!
- Wrote and committed ArcObjects driver to GDAL
- Wrote and committed FileGDB driver to GDAL
- Brian and I have been working with local companies to create and solve complex practical problems for CA on top of Open Source GIS stacks in the CA government (like Caltrans).
- Southern California Linux Expo - SCALE (Los Angeles): Building your own Google Maps using a complete Open Source and Open Data stack
- PGWest 2010 (San Francisco): How to Build Your Own Mapping Website Using an Open Source Geo Stack
- Continued to host and run builds of OSGeo Live (Versions 3 & 4)
- California Geographical Society - Presentation on OSGeo Live
- Helped convert and teach a GIS VBA university programming course to Python, expanding the coverage to ArcPy,GDAL/OGR, and QGIS Plugins
- Taught a 2 hour workshop on QGIS using OSGeo Live for a Forest Service International Seminar on Climate Change