Board Meeting 2009-10-08

From OSGeo
Jump to: navigation, search


This board meeting was scheduled for the 8th of October 2009 at 15:00 UTC at 15:00 UTC, on IRC (#osgeo).

Agenda

  • Appoint meeting secretary
  • Short intro from the new board members (if you feel like it)
  • Selection of executive: President, Treasurer and Secretary.
  • FOSS4G budget decision whether to fund lunch
  • Follow up on Broadband Mapping Discussion (see discussion on IRC logs and Letter)
  • F2F Meeting preparation for Sydney
  • Update from Tyler
  • Pramsey, Change to Board Election Procedure "Charter members may apply all their votes to a single person or distribute them in integral amounts over multiple candidates" to "Charter member may vote for zero candidates or cast as many votes as the number of board slots open, but may not vote for the same candidate twice"
  • cont. The Future of OSGeo discussion

Minutes

IRC Logs Here - starting at 07h00

Attendees

  • Directors:
    • Arnulf Christl (President)
    • Ari Jolma
    • Ravi Kumar
    • Jeff McKenna
    • Markus Neteler
    • Christopher Schmidt
    • Frank Warmerdam (Treasurer)
    • Geoff Zeiss
  • Staff: Tyler Mitchell (Executive Director, Secretary)

Action Summary

  • TODO: Arnulf and Tyler draft summary of position responsibilities: Executive Positions - Board responsibilities are needed too.
  • TODO: Jeff to follow up with Cameron on the funding scenario and report back to board list for final decision.
  • TODO: Informal meetup of directors in Sydney.
  • TODO: Arnulf to make motion to change voting protocols via email list

Discussion Points and Decisions

  1. Appointed Tyler as meeting secretary
  2. A few short words from a couple of the new directors. New directors: Chris, Geoff, Jeff and Ravi.
  3. Selection of executive: President, Treasurer and Secretary.
    1. General agreement to leave executive positions as-is.
    2. TODO: Arnulf and Tyler draft summary of position responsibilities: Executive Positions - Board responsibilities are needed too.
    3. Email vote to reconfirm the positions to follow on Board list.
    4. All directors should familiarise themselves with the governing docs noted at osgeo.org/about
  4. FOSS4G budget decision whether to fund lunch as per Cameron's email
    1. Needs answer by Wednesday 14th
    2. This would affect how much of the initial AUD$60k OSGeo will receive back from the event
    3. Some confusion about whether break-even estimates are with or without lunch and the 20k requested. "With another 50-60 registrations we will break even."
    4. Is that "break even without lunch", or "break even with the other 20k from lunch"?
    5. General opinion in favour of supporting lunch costs with the expectation that additional registrants will likely come forth.
    6. TODO: Jeff to follow up with Cameron on the funding scenario and report back to board list for final decision.
  5. Follow up on Broadband Mapping Discussion
    1. No new information, not sure who is left working on this (Andrew Turner, Howard?)
  6. F2F Meeting preparation for Sydney
    1. 3 directors, plus Tyler will be in Sydney, plus 2 outgoing directors
    2. TODO: Face to face meetup of directors in Sydney. Will post conclusions to wiki or list too.
  7. Update from Tyler/Executive Director
    1. Journal - restarting with some new blood, Landon Blake joining to help co-admin the effort. Submit new article ideas to http://osgeo.org/ojs
    2. Finance - reviewed sponsorship goals and gap in funding as per 2009 Budget. 2008 Finances are in Annual Report. Insurance almost ready.
    3. Education - increased focused for 2010, with a bit more staff time to help with it. Hoping to following the GIS&T Body of Knowledge curriculum and develop/collect FOSS examples/tutorials against it. Some discussion of the potential financial role for training/education through OSGeo.
    4. Marketing - Material development wrapping up, then more event focused.
  8. Future of OSGeo discussion - wiki page set up The Future of OSGeo for comments/opinion see talk page too.
  9. Change of election processes to allow single votes only for each candidate/voter. (see above agenda for more description). General agreement to change, will make motion via list.
    1. TODO: Arnulf to make motion to change voting protocols via email list
  10. Meeting adjorned after 1h20
  • Next Meeting:
    • 2009-11-05
    • 2009 budget/actuals review (Frank)
    • 2010 budget preliminary planning
    • Plan face to face meeting for all directors
    • Chris has access to conference call voice line (US dial-in) we may use in future