Board Meeting 2009-12-03

From OSGeo
Jump to: navigation, search


This board meeting is scheduled for the 3rd of December 2009 at 15:00 UTC at 15:00 UTC, on IRC (#osgeo).

Agenda

  • Appoint meeting secretary
  • Approve minutes for Board Meeting 2009-11-05
  • Find out what this refers to: TODO: Arnulf to make motion to change voting protocols via email list.
  • FOSS4G 2010 contract has been signed. Now waiting for budget, some discussion.
  • Should OSGeo become a member of or associated friend organisation (as with OGCMoU) with EUROGI?
  • Update from Tyler
  • New regular topics:
    • Update from each director
    • Committee reports (Arnulf will explain)
  • EU waffles on interoperability. FFII has answered: http://bit.ly/7jOWho (German). OSGeo should support this. How to go about?
  • Authorize up to $22k for hardware purchase for SAC to migrate off of Peer1 and onto OSL [1]
  • add your points

Minutes

IRC Logs Here - starting at 06h00

Attendees

  • Directors:
    • Ari Jolma
    • Arnulf Christl (Chair)
    • Frank Warmerdam
    • Jeff McKenna
    • Ravi Kumar
  • Staff: Tyler Mitchell (Executive Director, Secretary)

Action Summary

  • MOTION: Arnulf moved to adopt minutes.
  • TODO: Frank to provide revised wording for board/charter election changes.
  • TODO: Tyler to look at how we can vote virtually via IRC instead of requiring voice.
  • TODO: Jeff, Arnulf, Tyler to review FOSS4G 2010 budget changes and report on board-private
  • MOTION: Frank motioned to have Arnulf, Claude and Jeff on the FOSS4G 2010 LOC
  • TODO: Ari to follow up with EuroGI about associated organisation options.
  • TODO: Arnulf to follow up on idea of presenting comments on topics like FFI is for EU interoperability.
  • MOTION: Frank moved to purchased 2 servers for up to $15,000 for hosting at OSL

Discussion Points and Decisions

Note: This was an IRC-only meeting. Motions were confirmed via email following the meeting.


  • Approve previous meeting minutes. MOTION: Arnulf moved to adopt minutes. Frank seconded. Carried.
  • Adjust voting methods for electing Board and Charter Members. Remove ability to cast several votes for a single candidate which has dramatic effects on elections. Frank will provide revised wording and present to board for approval.
  • IRC meetings have so far been considered 'unofficial' due to bylaws and underlying state laws. Tyler to research how this can change so online meetings are treated as official. Follow up with legal.
  • FOSS4G 2010 contract has been signed. Now waiting for budget, some discussion.
    • Was received shortly before meeting, no time to review for discussing in meeting. Will discuss via board-private list in time for vote by next board meeting or sooner.
    • Tyler noted that marketing committee will work towards a strategy aimed at marketing OSGeo better through the FOSS4G event and brand.
    • Claude was recommend as a "past conference organiser" member to sit on 2010 Local Organising Committee. Arnulf to follow up.
    • MOTION: Frank motioned to have Arnulf, Claude and Jeff on the FOSS4G 2010 LOC as board rep, conf. commitee rep, and past conf rep. Seconded by Arnulf. All were in favour.
  • Discussed approaching EuroGI network for how we could work together. Ari to follow up and see about associated organisation options.
  • Update from Tyler. His points were emailed earlier. Brief discussion about finances and reporting regularly - Jeff: should some reporting be monthly? Discuss insurance briefly.
  • Update from each Director
    • Howard reported: "I am currently working on a directed sponsor (ala GDAL/qgis) to cover some of the expected OSUOSL SAC hardware expense. Nothing solid, but there's interest, especially given our current growth issues/downtimes."
    • Ari reported via board-priv earlier.
    • Short summaries can be done via IRC in the meeting, or sent ahead of meeting via email.
  • EU waffles on interoperability. FFII has submitted a response to their paper, should OSGeo do something similar? Arnulf to consider further.
  • Authorize up to $22k for hardware purchase for SAC to migrate off of Peer1 and onto OSL [1]
    • MOTION: Frank moved to purchased 2 servers for up to $15,000 for hosting at OSL, Arnulf seconded, all were in favour
  • Frank moved to close the meeting, Arnulf seconded, all were in favour.
    • Meeting ended after 1h15.

Post Meeting Voting

Votes received for motions via email, all were unanimously accepted:

  • MOTION: Arnulf moved to adopt previous meeting minutes
    • +1: Arnulf, Frank, Christopher, Geoff, Markus, Jeff, Howard, Ari, Ravi
  • MOTION: Frank motioned to have Arnulf, Claude and Jeff on the FOSS4G 2010 Local organising committee
    • +1: Arnulf, Frank, Christopher, Geoff, Markus, Jeff, Howard, Ari, Ravi
  • MOTION: Frank moved to purchased 2 servers for up to $15,000 for hosting at OSL
    • +1: Arnulf, Frank, Christopher, Geoff, Markus, Jeff, Howard, Ari, Ravi