Board Meeting 2020-01-27
Jump to navigation Jump to search
This board meeting is scheduled Monday 27 January 2020 at 16:00 UTC through IRC, a record of motions is preserved on loomio and actions on osgeo todo issue tracker.
- roll call
- appoint meeting chair, meeting scribe/secretary
- Review and approve past minutes
- Appoint Jody Garnett and Enock Seth Nyamador as co-chairs of Marketing Committee.
- Negotiation with Buenos Aires Team
- f2f Meeting - https://dudle.inf.tu-dresden.de/hacBIYOAEA/
- FOSS4G Registering Trademark (Email from Steven F.)
- Email from Bart 5.12. regarding board actions towards Halifax-actions
- Discuss request from osgeo4w for yearly budget
- Project report from Marble
- QGIS Summer camp, Summer school, Contributer meeting and Conference - application for sponsorship
- Request W3C Web mapping workshop, Montreal June 15-17 
- Request for collaboration for an NSF research project
- FOSS4G Europe 2020 request for seed funding 
- GSoC 2020, Importance of that program.
- Add more agenda items here...
- Presiding: Till
- Scribing: Angelos
- Attending: Till, Astrid, Angelos, Tom, Codrina, Helena, Victoria, Michael, Vicky
Review and approve past minutes Board_Meeting_2020-01-13
- Motion was already made on Loomio: https://www.loomio.org/d/cNZLd04X/approve-meeting-minutes-from-board-meeting-2020-01-13
- Motion passed on Loomio.
Appoint Jody Garnett and Enock Seth Nyamador as co-chairs of Marketing Committee
- Jody Garnett present.
- Jody is going to try to restart the marketing / outreach committee
MOT 1: Appoint Jody Garnett and Enock Seth Nyamador as co-chairs of Marketing Committee
- Astrid: +1 (Initial motion)
- Angelos: +1 (seconded)
- Helena: +1
- Tom: +1
- Till: +1
- Victoria: +1
- Codrina: +1
- Michael: +1
- Vicky: +1
- Motion passed during the meeting
- Motion on Loomio: https://www.loomio.org/d/20P1haLs/appoint-jody-garnett-and-enock-seth-nyamador-as-co-chairs-of-marketing-committee
- ACTION: Astrid to update the website officer list
Negotiation with Buenos Aires Team
- On Conference Committee mailing list there was a proposal of Eli: First 30k 50/50, then 90/10
- ACTION: Till to talk to BALOC and report back
- Some concers that Athens will be very busy. Note that we are planning a co-located OGC API Hackathon at that time.
- Maybe we could meet the day after or before the community sprint
- Thoughts about having the f2f in both places so that at least all can participate personally on one
- Give more time for all to vote on the poll and also discuss on mailing list before making a decision.
FOSS4G Registering Trademark (Email from Steven F.)
- Example from ASF: https://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/
- Discussion about FOSS4G and ribon trademarks.
- This discussion was raised before (with the LocationTech thing), Venka, as the initiator, did not agree.
- Perhaps make a wider discussion about this. Maybe board and conf-list.
- Jody: For TM our website (and the old website) claims the trademark https://www.osgeo.org/legal-information/ Text is copied from old website, I assumed folks who wrote it knew what was what.
- Probably should first start with a CC vote to do this before we go wider.
- ACTION: Till to answer Steven
- Side discussion about OSGeo Store online. Looks like a topic for the marketing committee.
Email from Bart 5.12. regarding board actions towards Halifax-actions
- Actions such as unresponsiveness on request from the community and also the board and the other actions taken were against the CoC.
- Bart's email was more about the actions and not how to handle promoting Calgary as the official conference.
- It's a good idea to ask CoC-committee for their thoughts on this.
- Also note that Jeff was unresponsive while being on the board for more than 6 months
- We should at least have a common public position.
- Vicky as co-chair of CoC committee tried to contact Jeff, and he was unresponsive
- Maybe someone could try to call him on the phone. Looks like other channels do not work.
- If it was weeks, there can maybe be some lenience and understanding, but this is working against OSGeo and FOSS4G for months.
- This is a wider issue regarding the fact that OSGeo doesn't have the tools to protect itself from these actions.
- Prevention: Own the trademark
- It is not a priority to contact Jeff right now or revive this halifax topic.
- Bylaws do mention that the board can remove members if they missbehave.
Discuss request from osgeo4w for yearly budget
- Paolo Cavallini present.
- The board has passed a budget for 2020 and approved 4000 for OSGeo4W (plus another 500 as a community project)
- Paolo: This is not our main point, we would like is that osgeo4w would be recognized as a crucial part of OSGeo infrastructure so its future could be more secure. Currently all resides on the goodwill of a few people, and on the support by QGIS.ORG, whereas it's a global project for Windows users
- Our idea was to offer support (money) in order to promote the project and create a healthy community around it
- Right now we have a specific structure, OSGeo4W has to fit that structure somehow
- Paolo: this is much appreciated, but the problem is how to secure its future, not a one off
- We would prefer to have it incubated. proj is a good example of a long standing core project that is now (recently) an OSGeo project
- Paolo: I regard it more as a part of the infrastructure, much as the website
- Jody: The project is too small to incubate. Being a OSGeo community project is all you are going to get at present
- OSGeoLive took many years to be strong enough for incubation.
- Paolo: integrating in SAC is an option
- I think the main goal is to find more volunteers. We would also suggest the OSGeo4W team could ask on the lists for new members.
- Maybe a discussion with the OSGeo4W and the SAC team makes sense to identify the tasks
- Jurgen is already involved in SAC and could put it on the agenda.
- First discuss with SAC, then decide
Project report from Marble
- Marble reported on mailing list, so it is fine
- Marble can provide with a slide for the next AGM
QGIS Summer camp, Summer school, Contributor meeting and Conference - application for sponsorship
- Summer school was canceled, there is still a 5k request
- Should the QGIS summer camp be funded separately of QGIS code sprints - perhaps as initiative?
- Basically we need to follow our funding guidelines: code sprints cannot be funded directly, sharing risk is the purpose, so that events can attract sponsors and we can back them up
- ACTION: Till to point them to these guidelines and ask to request for support as for any other codesprint.
- Remaining topics moved to next board meeting
- Astrid to update the website officer list
- Till to talk to BALOC and report back CHECK - BALOC agreed (50%/50% share on the first 30k surplus, above that 90% OSgeo and 10% to
- Till to answer Steven about the FOSS4G Trademark. (Pending)
- Till to reply to QGIS Summer camp organizers and point them to these guidelines and ask to request for support as for any other codesprint. (CHECK, mail sent)