Board Meeting 2021-03-29
Jump to navigation Jump to search
This board meeting is scheduled Monday 29 March 2021 at 15:00 UTC through Jitsi, a record of motions is preserved on loomio and actions on osgeo todo issue tracker.
- roll call
- appoint meeting chair, meeting scribe/secretary
- Proposal to become a Participating Organisation with the Group on Earth Observation (Steven Feldman)
- Other fiscal alternatives (GDAL)
- Review and approve past minutes
- Marketing Committee Astrid Contact board about communication with Partners from MOUs
- Set up OpenCollective fiscal host for projects to facilitate donations
- add your topic here
- Presiding: Till
- Scribing: Till, Codrina
- Attending: Angelos, Astrid, Tom, Mike, Michele, Codrina, Helena, Vicky, Till
- Guests: Steven Feldman (for topic 1), Even Renaud and Howard Butler (for topic 2), a dog
Proposal to become a Participating Organisation with GEO
- Group on Earth Observation (Steven Feldman)
- Steven reports on background. About 100 Space Agencies and ministries/governments are members.- Also, GEO has engaged with OSGeo previously, by being a partner to FOSS4G 2019 and giving a keynote.
- question to board: Do we want to become participating organization of Group on Earth Observation (150 part. org. yet)
- fill in form of 2 pages (Steven will support us here)
- ACTION: The form will be signed and submitted by Angelos (done)
MOTION 1: Motion for OSGeo to become participating organization of GEO
- 9x +1
- Motion passed during meeting
Other fiscal alternatives (GDAL)
- Howard reports on topic https://gist.github.com/hobu/8bdca018fe0ada0660ea3562813e46d5
- Maintainer of GDAL took small jobs adding new features to the software and thus GDAL was funded, but it is not a sustainable way to go- difficult to bring in new contributors
- Private funding call brought 125k US$, concentrated on bigger organizations, mainly based in US;
- There is no knowledge yet on how donations coming from Europe would be handled.
- OSGeo is not the right organization for managing the funding because we lack paid personal to handle fiscal issues on behalf of projects
- Looking for alternative organizations to manage the funding / fiscal activity.
- The most likely alternative for getting fiscal services is NumFocus , but OpenCollective  is also a possibility.
- Question to the board, if that is okay for OSGeo if GDAL selects another organization to manage the fiscal activities, GDAL is not leaving OSGeo (!!)
- The board is open to this kind of support, use this example as draft for other projects later- The board will also discuss in future meetings on how to recognize sponsors that support open source projects through these other organizations/foundation offering fiscal services.
Review and approve past minutes
- Motion on Loomio: https://www.loomio.org/p/18e3xh9L/approve-meeting-minutes-from-board-meeting-2021-02-22
- Motion status: passed
Marketing Committee Astrid Contact board about communication with Partners from MOUs
- Question: Are we aware with the organizations, that we signed a MOU with?
- We could send them updates/news, if such contact is alive
- Helena went through and suggests to update connections
- Helena suggests to re-contact them one-by-one
- Marketing committee reviews all the MOU's, then reports to the board
Set up OpenCollective fiscal host for projects to facilitate donations
- Helena shared email about the topic, GRASS GIS is looking for a fiscal host organisation
- We had this discussion already with Alyssa Wright and decided to have PGRouting as a pilot
- We need the feedback from Daniel Kastl (PGRouting) in order to setup guidelines for other projects
Go through the old issues (https://git.osgeo.org/gitea/osgeo/todo/issues/)
- #108 "OSGeo projects on OSGeo website" - keep in track
- The Lexicon Committee could pick this subject up, as it has applied for a Google Season of Docs grant . This grant will allow paying a technical writer to support OSGeo in implementing a cross-projects glossary with geospatial relevant terminology. Part of the working team are also volunteers from OGC and ISO/TC211. The used software is open source https://www.glossarist.org/. Results regarding the grant will be announce mid-April.
- ACTION: Angelos to follow up with HOT in the next meetings
- Vicky reported on video on "opening doors"
- the meeting was held via Jitsi