Board Meeting FOSS4G2008
The OSGeo Board of Directors will meet in a face-to-face meeting prior to the FOSS4G2008 conference event. Space is limited to accommodate the board only (up to 10). General OSGeo meeting / discussion will be possible during Annual General Meeting 2008 later in the week.
- 09h00 - Meeting start
- 10h30- Refreshment break
- 15h30 -Refreshment Break
- 18h00 -meeting ends.
- Report from ED (Tyler)
- 2009 Vision & Priorities Discussion (Tyler)
- Approve MetaCRS for incubation.
- Approve OGC Memorandum of Understanding
- Approve Conference contract (for 2009) - pointer lacking...
- Motion to approve Conference contract provided final review by Paul Ramsey is positive.
- Budget Review and 2009 Planning
- Open discussion on:
- How to attract sponsors, what can OSGeo offer to sponsors
- Supporting local conference initiatives
- How to improve marketing for projects and advocacy
- Working with local chapters and potentially sharing sponsors
- Strategic development of OSGeo's goals and mission
In attendance: Markus Neteler, Jeroen Ticheler, Ari Jolma, Paul Ramsey, Frank Warmerdam, Tyler Mitchell, Arnulf Christl (chair)
- Started at 10am.
- Frank Warmerdam designated secretary, Arnulf chairing
- Tyler provided a report.
- 501c3 paperwork is still pending submission, but expected shortly. Once it has been submitted it will likely be about 3 months till we hear back from the government with an approval.
- Tyler provided a detailed walk through the of the recent financial reports sent to the board list.
- It was agreed that Arnulf, Tyler and Bob would meet-by-phone for an ED review within the next month. Arnulf will seek input from the board and possibly more widely in advance.
- The MetaCRS project was approved for OSGeo incubation on the recommendation of the incubation committee.
- The OGC/OSGeo MOU document was approved.
- The FOSS4G2009 PCO contract was approved with the caveat that Paul or a designate review the final text to ensure materially matches the earlier form that was reviewed.
- Extensive discussions of sponsorship, strategic directions, conference approaches, and budget followed, leading to the following conclusions.
- A rough budget was drafted similar to 2008, but with $50K for marketing efforts.
- This rough budget requires bringing in at least one new sustaining sponsor ($50K) this year, some preliminary candidates were identified and assigned to individuals for followup
- It as generally agreed that the board would take on the role of reaching out and soliciting sponsors, with Tyler responsible for followup (invoicing, answering questions, etc)
- We will investigate options that would allow sponsors to contribute funds to be held and spent by a local chapter (with direction from OSGeo), while still being an OSGeo sponsor.
- The meeting was ended at 6pm.