Board Voting Procedure
This document explains the voting procedure for motions put forward to the OSGeo Board of Directors.
- Board voting occurs during monthly meetings
- each Board member may vote “+1” to indicate support for the motion.
- each Board member may vote “-1” to veto a motion, but must provide clear reasoning and alternate approaches to resolving the problem within seven days.
- A vote of "-0" indicates mild disagreement, but has no effect. A "0" indicates no opinion. A "+0" indicate mild support, but has no effect.
- A motion will be passed once all of the Board members place a vote, and no vetoes are received (-1).
- If a motion is vetoed, and it cannot be revised to satisfy all parties, then it can be resubmitted for an override vote, in which a majority of all Board members indicating +1 is required to pass it.
Record of Motions
For motions with quorum taking in a meeting (bylaw 4.5) we make use of loomio for tracking / record:
- Allow one week for a chance to review and respond
- Maybe shortened if a time sensitive motion (require email to board members, example emergency event funding)
- After one week consider motion passed based on quorum in meeting. Non responses will be considered as abstain (+0).
For motions taken purely by electronic voting (bylaw 4.6):
- We still need 100% response rate, provide a week to respond so that board members have both a weekend and weekday to respond.