China Chapter Report 2007
China Local Chapter
- Period covered by report: Jan-Dec 2007
- Contact name: Gao Ang
- Held regular meeting of OSGeo China chapter.
- Put forward the activities of OSGeo China such as giving lectures for the Chinese University students.
- Modify GRASS commands for data processing and analysis to C-API functions.
- Build another GRASS GUI for Linux and Windows based on QT using C-APIs, similar to QGIS and ArcMAP.
- Research and analysis Ingres database and try to enhance spatial extension.
- Start open source project JavaPWS to implement the OGC-WPS Specification.
- Publish three articles about Open Source GIS at <Programmer> magazine in Chinese.
- Google Group Mail List for OSGeo China Members.
Areas for Improvement
- We should organize open party for the technical discussion.
- We should introduce OSGeo in more areas as meetings, magazines and events.
- We should contact with other Asia countries related with OSGeo.
- Add useful content to OSGeo China website.
Opportunities to Help
- We are looking for more opportunities for cooperate and communication.
- Encourage more people to join the OSGeo China mailing lists.
- Make contribution for the local open source project related with GIS.
Outlook for 2008
- Improve our presence in China, especially during the Beijing 2008 Olympic Games.
- Formalize the OSGeo China Local Chapter.
- Publish more articles in magazines related with Free GIS.
- Make plans to give lectures for the university student.