Deegree Report 2009
- 2009 was the most important year of deegree v.3 development (AKA deegree3). The module structure has been improved and made stable, configuration has been designed and implemented, the build mechanism set up. Nightly builds have been made available in August [more TBD]
- A first pre-release of deegree's GIS Desktop application named "iGeoDesktop" was released in March
- The fourth deegree day successfully took place in Bonn in May, together with a local OpenStreetMap outreach activity. There were about 120 participants and we even Steve Coast dropped in (http://deegreeday.deegree.org/archive).
- The first deegree 2.3 release candidate was published in November, after quite some improvements in the release process and result. The package included pre-configured and ready-to-run versions of WMS, WFS, WCS, CSW, WPVS, WPS and iGeoPortal. Those were at the same time made available on http://demo.deegree.org/.
- Outreach: deegree was presented at FOSSGIS (March in Hannover, Germany), deegree day (May in Bonn, Germany), AGIT (July in Salzburg, Austria), INTERGEO (September in Karlsruhe, Germany), FOSS4G (October in Sydney, Australia)
Areas for Improvement
- Extend and improve documentation, create tutorials
- Increase involvement of the community
- Increase the number of contributors (code)
- Reduce the number of pre-releases within one release cycle
Opportunities to Help
- Test release candidates at an early stage
- Provide or improve documentation (e.g. QA by native speakers)
- Contribute to tutorial production process
- Actively contribute to deegree 3 development
- Share experiences with deegree
Outlook for 2010
- OSGeo incubation process to be finalized
- Though we made some progress in release management, there are still issues to improve.
- deegree 2.3 stable to be released in early 2010