FOSS4G 2013 Planning Meeting March 22nd
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Attendees: Steven, Addy, Barend, Jo, Mark, Peter, Suchith, Jo, Ian H, Rollo, Antony
- Semester started and I will be busy with lectures / lab exercise this afternoon. Good luck - Franz-Josef
Review actions from previous meeting
- 26 papers in review, 23 already have 1 reviewer, 15 reviews already in
CfP and CfW
- Papers - 25
- Workshops - 23
- Consider 2 days for workshops once proposals evaluated after F2F.
- What would we do if not enough papers in? Extend? Community vote?
- Jo to lead on this decision (Steven away).
- Need for more non-UK publicity, if poss in local languages - country contact
- Twitter (Addy will scan for )
- OSGeo local chapters: Custom mailing list for replication to country - Barend to get email (include SA)
- Comms group to make sure blast goes out on workshops
- Sucith will also send to range of lists
- OSGeo Advocate list (useful) - http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/OSGeo_Advocate (has named contacts in countries!)
- rationalise menus (Comms Group)
- pages to be updated by various LOC (Addy done, Mark, Matt to do) reminder A
- pages need to be made public, then added to menu (admins)
- increase Amazon instance for submissions time
Code sprints on Sunday.
- Some other sponsors highly likely.
- Web mapping shoot-out - Geoff McKenna has organised in the past. Steven to contact (also AGM and Sol Katz).
- Rollo negotiating with CASA for display technology (iPad wall). Digital displays outside rooms are also a option.
- Call for maps should go anyway, while we are getting technology sorted. First call is ready to go: Rollo/Ken. Second (formal) call after 12th April.
Contract and wifi
- We had a proposal from the venue for a 400MB connection but at a cost of £25k! I have told the that is not on and offered £5k, they are now trying to get a lower cost quote from another supplier. I think we are * going to have to live with the 100MB that they can offer.
- On site responsiveness to issues is also important.
- Contract otherwise ready to go - unlikely we will need OSGeo contribution for deposit. Peter to inform Daniel.
F2F 24/25 April
- Meeting and hotel rooms now booked (let Clare know if more rooms needed ASAP).
- Overall timing: 11.30am Wed - 5pm Thur.
- Peter will be available if needed.
- Note that work will be needed by all in reviewing proposals before meeting. Weeding of non-starters is needed...
- Rollo will draft notes on previous methodology. DONE
- Community ranking was strong driver in previous confs, with rebalancing for eg case studies - tendency for community to have technical leaning.
- Timetable to be drafted when Steven gets back.
- Claire should contact Suchith on any logistical issues.
- SF away from 28/3 to 18/4
- Programme - lots of 'minor' events to be fitted in.
- Where should self-organising groups go to get eg rooms, communicate with each other etc? Website, whiteboards, daily one-pager update sheet, all low tech if poss. Consider allocating space, late-breaking announcements.
- Will we have printing facilities? Not great at EMCC. Good quality printer will be needed - Suchith to investigate a loan for the duration.
- Jo to lead on 5th
- Call on 19th to go ahead