Google Code In 2018 Application
- application is due 17 September (exact time)
- Why does your organization want to participate in Google Code-in 2018? (500 character limit) After participating in our first GCI experience last year, where students completed 649 tasks, OSGeo believes that it is important to introduce the future young leaders to our vibrant community of over 42 different software projects. We feel that this will be another fun experience for both the mentors and the students, with benefits to the software projects and the whole OSGeo community.
- How has your organization prepared for Google Code-in 2018? (500 character limit) OSGeo has assembled an admin team, made up of veteran Summer of Code and GCI participants, and have put out a call for mentors (we currently have 10+ mentors so far https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Google_Code_In_2018_Mentors). Mentors have been already recording tasks (https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Google_Code_In_2018_Tasks) and we will keep adding tasks in the next month.
- Has your organization participated in Google Code-in before? (yes or no) Yes: 2017
- Has your organization participated in Google Summer of Code before? (yes or no) Yes
- In which years did your organization participate in Google Summer of Code? 2007 to 2018
- How many mentors have committed to participate? 10
- How do you plan to deal with any holidays or vacations mentors may have planned during the contest period? (500 character limit) We are asking for several mentors for each project, so that several mentors can assist throughout this coming holiday season. We are also making sure to have mentors located in different timezones for each project. We will organize shifts for the days that we foresee scarce presence due to holidays.
- How do you plan to deal with unresponsive mentors? (500 character limit) We have already setup a private mailing list for discussions with mentors and admins, and we have also asked for all contact details for all mentors. We have also a discrete backup. However, we also try to make sure that our mentors are aware that they commit and take responsibility to carry out the program until the end.
- We would like to see 25 example tasks. (URL to sample tasks - Be sure to include tasks from all 5 categories) https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Google_Code_In_2018_Tasks
- Short description (200 character limit) OSGeo is a non-profit organization serving as an umbrella organization for the Open Source Geospatial community.
- Long description (1500 character limit - using "limited markdown" syntax)
OSGeo is a non-profit organization serving as an umbrella organization for the Open Source Geospatial community in general and several code projects in particular: ## Content Management Systems GeoNode ## Desktop Applications GRASS GIS gvSIG Marble QGIS ## Geospatial Libraries FDO GDAL/OGR GEOS GeoTools Orfeo ToolBox (OTB) OSSIM PostGIS ## Metadata Catalogs GeoNetwork pycsw ## Web Mapping deegree geomajas GeoMOOSE GeoServer Mapbender MapFish MapGuide Open Source MapServer OpenLayers PyWPS ## Incubating Projects istSOS MetaCRS Opticks Oskari Team Engine ZOO-Project ## Outreach Projects GeoForAll - Education and Curriculum OSGeo-Live ## OSGeo Community Projects Geoinformatica GeoWebCache MapProxy pgRouting Portable GIS Postal Address Geo-Coder Proj4php Pronto Raster Virtual Terrain Project We host regional and international FOSS4G conferences with typical attendance of 500-1200+ geospatial developers, industry and government leaders, and researchers. Our mailing lists collectively go out to ~ 31.050 unique subscribers.
- Tags (enter 5 only - A few keywords to help students find your organization. Examples: Machine Learning, Video, Kernel, Games, Natural Language, Graphics. Do not include programming languages and technologies or your organization's name) geospatial, maps, cartography, gis, application
- Primary Open Source License MIT License (MIT)
- Chat (Link to a web page that describes how to access your realtime chat) https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/IRC
- Mailing list (Link to a page describing how to join your organization's mailing list) https://www.osgeo.org/community/communications/
- Contact email (A general purpose contact email for your organization) gci-admin at osgeo.org
- Twitter URL https://twitter.com/osgeo
- Blog URL http://planet.osgeo.org/
- Extra task information (250 character limit - Short instructions or tips to be displayed with every task. May include limited Markdown. Example: See http://link for information on how to checkout, build, and run the code. Don't forget to join the IRC channel to ask mentors questions) Don't forget to join the #osgeo-gci IRC channel to ask mentors questions, on freenode.net (connect directly in your browser through https://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=osgeo-gci).
- Common task information link (A URL for a web page that will be linked to from every task as "Working with OSGeo") https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Google_Code_In_2018#Communication
[Back to Google Code In 2018 @ OSGeo]