GvSIG Report 2018
- Contact name: Mario Carrera (Communication and Translation Manager)
- Release of gvSIG Desktop 2.4 (21/02/2018) (gvSIG 2.4.1 at the end of 2018)
- Working in parallel on gvSIG Desktop 3.0 with a new raster architecture and avoiding commercial drivers.
- New gvSIG Mobile version (End of 2018)
- New tools for gvSIG Crime (End of 2018)
- New gvSIG Online version
- We are migrating the gvSIG case studies website (http://box5589.temp.domains/~gvsigorg//case-studies) to a new section of the gvSIG Project website (http://www.gvsig.com).
- We have created the gvSIG devel mailing list for English-speaking developers (it was hosted in Joinup (https://joinup.ec.europa.eu/), the collaborative platform created by the European Commission, previously but they deleted it.
Areas for Improvement
- Translations in some languages would have to be updated. We would need help on it.
How is your Project Health?
During 2018 there are several meetings about gvSIG:
- 14th International gvSIG Conference (Spain) 10/2018 (www.gvsig.com/en/events/gvsig-conference/14th-international-gvsig-conference/)
- 3rd gvSIG Festival (virtual conference) 03/2018 (www.gvsig.com/en/events/gvsig-festival/3rd-gvsig-festival/)
- 10as Jornadas de Latinoamérica y Caribe de gvSIG (Brazil) 08/2018 (http://www.gvsig.com/es/eventos/jornadas-lac/2018)
- 5as Jornadas gvSIG Uruguay 10/2018 (http://www.gvsig.com/en/5as-jornadas-gvsig-uruguay)
- Different conferences in universities (University of León, Castilla-la-Mancha University, Polytechnics University of Cartagena, University of Extremadura)
There also have been presentations at other conferences:
- FOSS4G-Europe (Guimaraes – Portugal)
- 3er Congreso Nacional de Estudiantes de Geomática, Geodesia y Geoinformática (Mexico)
- Jornada SIG Libre (Girona – Spain)
- JIDEE (Mahón – Spain)
- TIG Conference (Valencia – Spain)
Many papers that include gvSIG are being published in scientific journals and conference proceedings in 2018.
Opportunities to Help
There many ways to participate in the gvSIG project, with different levels of involvement, like:
- Participating on the mailing lists, for users as well as developers, in may languages.
- Testing the application.
- Doing translations of the gvSIG user interface, user and developer documentation and the gvSIG portal.
- Writing articles and case studies.
- Developing new addons.
- Creating new scripts for the gvSIG Scripting repository.
You can find more information in the following page: http://www.gvsig.com/en/community
From OSGeo we would need financial assistance to organize the gvSIG Conference. We would need help for it.
Outlook for 2019
- Release of gvSIG Desktop 3 with a new raster architecture and a lot of improvements and new features.
- Events (Latin American, International...)
- New functionalities for gvSIG Mobile.
- New gvSIG Online version.