Spatial Data Interest Community Description
SDIC Title Open Source Geospatial Foundation
Mission and Objectives: The Open Source Geospatial Foundation, or OSGeo, is a not-for- profit organization whose mission is to support the collaborative development of open source geospatial software, and promote its widespread use. The foundation provides financial, organizational and legal support to the broader open source geospatial community. It also serves as an independent legal entity to which community members can contribute code, funding and other resources, secure in the knowledge that their contributions will be maintained for public benefit. OSGeo also serves as an outreach and advocacy organization for the open source geospatial community, and provides a common forum and shared infrastructure for improving cross-project collaboration. Open Source InitiativeThe foundation's projects are all freely available and useable under an OSI-certified open source license. Mandate Not-for-profit umbrella organization
- Formal Mandate
The following goals support the overall mission:
- To provide resources for foundation projects - eg. infrastructure, funding, legal.
- To promote freely available geodata - free software is useless without data.
- To promote the use of open source software in the geospatial industry (not just foundation software) - eg. PR, training, outreach.
- To encourage the implementation of open standards and standards-based interoperability in foundation projects.
- To ensure a high degree of quality in foundation projects in order to build and preserve the foundation "brand".
- To make foundation and related software more accessible to end users - eg. binary "stack" builds, cross package documentation.
- To provide support for the use of OSGeo software in education via curriculum development, outreach, and support.
- To encourage communication and cooperation between OSGeo communities on different language (eg. Java/C/Python) and operating system (eg. Win32, Unix, MacOS) platforms.
- To support use and contribution to foundation projects from the worldwide community through internationalization of software and community outreach.
- To operate an annual OSGeo Conference, possibly in cooperation with related efforts (eg. EOGEO).
- To award the Sol Katz award for service to the OSGeo community.
- SDIC URL
- Major Open Source software geospatial projects including: Web Mapping: deegree, geomajas, GeoMoose, GeoServer, Mapbender, MapBuilder, MapFish, MapGuide Open Source, MapServer, OpenLayers Desktop Applications: GRASS GIS, Quantum GIS Geospatial Libraries: FDO, GDAL/OGR, GEOS, GeoTools, OSSIM, PostGIS Metadata Catalogs: GeoNetwork Outreach Projects: Public Geospatial Data, Education and Curriculum, OSGeo Live Web Mapping (Incubating Projects): ZOO-Project, Team Engine, Desktop Applications: gvSIG, Opticks, Marble Geospatial Libraries (Incubating Project): MetaCRS, rasdaman Metadata Catalogs (Incubating Project): pycsw
- Regional Thematic Sectorial
- OSGeo is a community of communites and operates without paid staff. It is a highly diverse organization and can therefore not really be represented by a single person.
Contact information for SDIC
- Contact Person
- Arnulf Christl
- Heerstr 162.
- 53111 Bonn
PROPOSED ROLE IN INSPIRE DEVELOPMENT
Which role(s) do you foresee for the SDIC in INSPIRE development:
- submit reference material as input to the Drafting Teams
- register a project to test/revise/develop the draft Implementing Rules
- participate in the review process
- implement pilot projects to test/revise/develop the draft Implementing Rules
- contribute to cost/benefit analysis of the draft Implementing Rules
- contribute to awareness raising and training
- be kept informed