Ireland/MeetingMinutes 9

From OSGeo
Jump to: navigation, search

Title: OSGeo-IE meeting - Symposium Planning

Date: 24.03.2017 16h30 (60 minutes)

Location: Teleconf.

Minutes Compiled: Peter Mooney

Attendees: Seth Girven, Peter Mooney, Padraig Fitzmaurice, Daniel McInerney

Apologies: Richard McDonnell, Ozan Emem, Hrishikesh Ballal

Using the Google Docs Spreadsheet there was a discussion of the program - we will put this program on the Wiki page soon when we agree on the structure.


LIGHTNING TALKS

Consider targeting people from industry, government, academic etc. There already seems to be good interest from our contacts in various OSGeo roles in Ireland. This is an opportunity to attact a wide variety of OSGeo users in Ireland. It was agreed to look at industry, academia, local government, etc.

WORKSHOPS

Some workshops confirmed - there are plenty of options here. It is a matter of figuring out how many people will want to attend workshops. Then we can prioritise which workshops will be given precedence. We will have a drop-down-list on the registration list to allow people to select their preferences. In this way we can tailor the number of workshops to participants. Participants/delegates will be asked to bring their own laptop. We might also try to have a couple of OSGeoLive USB keys so that people could boot into OSGeoLive and follow the workshop from there.

Add a choice to the registration form to allow people to choose their preferred workshop.

REGISTRATION.

An Eventbrite registration will be setup. €50 is the registration fee we agreed on. There is no need to have a student rate as this is probably the lowest cost we can really offer for the first event. We will try to absorb the costs of the fees for the registration. We estimate that with some modest sponsorship we will manage to cover the costs of the day.

SPONSORSHIP A discussion around sponsorship options was held. We will put the logo on the wiki page - as a list of sponsors. We will also give some visibility to the logos of the organisations involved in giving the workshops.

PROMOTIONAL MATERIALS Could we get some OSGeo materials as part of a promotional pack? This would be very nice to have.

ACTIONS. Contact individuals regarding lightning talks. Also try to confirm the workshops as this is a key part of the programme.