MapServer Report 2011
- Contact name: Steve Lime, PSC Chair
- One major release:
- MapServer 6.0 released on May 12, 2011. See the Release Announcement for the list of new features and enhancements in this release
- Several minor releases tied to bug fixes and security improvements:
- Very strong participation in the Montreal Code Sprint in March 2011
- Participation in the web mapping server shoot out at FOSS4G 2011.
- Integration of two new components in the MapServer project, to be included for the first time in the 6.2 release:
Areas for Improvement
- Keeping documentation up-to-date with development remains a challenge
- Continue work to attract additional developer talent to the project.
- Cleanup bug backlog (550+ open bugs), and triage new bugs more effectively.
- Google Summer of Code: continue to try and attract more students
Opportunities to Help
- General website, documentation and translations maintenance.
- New coders always welcome, a good way to start is by contributing bug reports and patches.
- Experienced users can contribute to the release process by testing the betas and release candidates and reporting their results.