MapSlicer is an open-source application, distributed under the New BSD License.
It can run on several platforms, including Linux, Microsoft Windows and Apple Mac OS X.
MapSlicer is a desktop application for the creation of map tiles for rapid raster map publishing. Geodata is transformed to tiles compatible with OpenStreetMap, Google Maps, Google Earth, Yahoo Maps or Bing Maps - ready for publishing via direct upload to any webserver or a cloud storage. The only thing you have to do for publishing the map is to upload the automatically generated directory with tiles into your webserver.
No extensive configuration on the server side is necessary, any simple file hosting is fine. Dynamic interaction such as panning and zooming, overlay of markers and vector data is provided by powerful browser functionality.
The application directly generates a ready to use simple viewer based on OpenLayers and Google Maps API and can be easily customized.
- No extra server software installation necessary
- Hosting almost everywhere: cloud storage such as Amazon S3 or any cheap "unlimited" webhosting with FTP access
- Easy mashup with commercial layers (Google, Bing, Yahoo) or OpenStreetMap
- Tiles follow OSGEO TMS (Tile Map Service Specification)
- Ability to process raster data in various formats: TIFF/GeoTIFF, MrSID, ECW, JPEG2000, Erdas HFA, NOAA BSB, JPEG and more...
We would like to thank Petr Pridal - Klokan for his contribution of the original MapTiler project.
Sponsors of MapTiler/GDAL2Tiles:
- http://www.davidrumsey.com - supported improvement of Google Earth SuperOverlay rendering
- http://www.nic.cz/ and http://www.nic.cz/vip/ - Vyvíjej, Inovuj, Programuj
- http://www.brgm.fr/ (Bureau des Recherches Geologiques et Minières - French Geological Survey Office
- http://www.oldmapsonline.org/ - Moravian Library Brno, Czech Ministry of Culture
- http://code.google.com/soc/ - Google Summer of Code 2007, 2008 (GDAL2Tiles utility) - OSGeo and Google Inc.
- Source Code: https://github.com/geopython/mapslicer
- Licence: New BSD License
- Software Version: 1.0.rc1
- Supported Platforms: Windows, Linux, Mac