-- STALE: nov17 outdated text and links -- DRAFT: This page is still being developed --
This page describes our quality control processes for OSGeo-Live.
OSGeo-Live has built a reputation around maintaining a high level of quality for all included applications. To ensure we maintain this quality, we need to not only test to make sure everything works as expected, but also keep track of testing status can show a clean report card on what works, and also take action when something is not working as expected.
Below are the testing and verification processes to follow for each of our artefacts:
- OSGeo-Live applications status
- Status of applications to be updated by packagers.
- Translations status
- Documentation translation status, to be updated by translators.
- Download the latest ISO or Virtual Machine from http://live.osgeo.org/dev/build
- Virtual Machines will need to be uncompressed with 7zip for windows or 7zip for unix
7z x file.7z
For each application:
- Verify that you can select the application from the pull down menu.
- Find out what version of the application has been installed, and insert the version number into the "installed version" column of the Status spreadsheet
- Run the application and see if it works. If the Quickstart exists, try following the Quickstart instructions.
- Note that you have reviewed the application by adding the OSGeo-Live version and your username in the "Tested by" column in our status spreadsheet. Eg: 4.5camerons,
Note any errors that you find in the issue tracker using the following:
- OSGeo-Live issues are reported here: https://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo/report/10
- Set "Component" = "LiveDVD"
- For "Keywords", add the base release number, and the application id used in the Status Spreadsheet. Eg: "4.0, geoserver". Don't use "4.0rc1, geoserver".
Overview Doc Review
Reviewing can start once authors have completed a project's Overview and set "Overview status" = latest-version_draft, in the Status spreadsheet
- Check the difference between this version and last to determine what has changed.
- Determine the version of "en" docs for last two osgeo releases (eg, between "en" and "4.0en") from the Translation summary
- From svn directory, View updates by selecting
"doc.rst"->"revision log"-> "[View Changes]"
- Ensure the new doc is referenced from the main Contents page.
- Verify all images show up
- Verify the version number matches the status spreadsheet
- Ensure all new text is grammatically and syntactically correct.
For completely new docs:
- Ensure the doc follows overview outline, as per the example doc: https://svn.osgeo.org/osgeo/livedvd/gisvm/trunk/doc/overview/en/postgis_overview.rst
- Ensure the doc is concise and clear to our target users.
- These users may be managers with limited technical expertise, so the documentation will need to provide content. Eg: The 52North Web Processing Services (WPS) needs to explain what a WPS is, and why it is useful before explaining the details of the 52nWPS implementation.
Refer to: OSGeoLive#Quickstart_Review_Checklist