Open Geoscience Committee/meetings

From OSGeo
Jump to: navigation, search

Meetings

(Meeting 2015-10-30 18:00 hours

The meeting will be held on the Slack channel: #opengeoscience

Topics:

  • EGU GA 2016:
    • Short courses
    • OSGeo-realted sessions
  • Promoting the new OSGeo Opengeoscience Committee
  • Various

Participants:

  • tbd

Topics

  1. EGU GA 2016:
    1. OSGeo-related sessions
    2. Townhall preparation: Timeline / Volunteers
    3. Short courses: OSGeo-Scope / Format / Timeline / Volunteers
  2. Promoting the new OSGeo Opengeoscience Committee
  3. Various

Participants

  • Epifanio
  • Madi
  • Jeff
  • Raffalba
  • Peter

Outcome

Top 1: EGU GA 2016
  • OSGeo-related sessions

Madi will create a sub page on FOSS sessions and conferences

  • Townhall preparation: Timeline / Volunteers

Townhall topic and other details will be discussed later. Info about the past townhalls sits on the Wiki: http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/EGU_Townhall_2015

Jeff lobbies OSGeo board to support Townhall even

Madi and Raffaele volunteer for the EGU Townhall preparation

  • Short courses: OSGeo-Scope / Format / Timeline / Volunteers

We are planning for one short course during the lunch hours, focusing on OSGeoLive, and possibly a second one to cover more detailed topics. We can announce the event during the FOSS-themed sessions and the Townhall. Target groups are ECS (young scientists) representatives group, NH and others divisions.

OSGeo-related topics for short course:

  1. initial introduction on FOSS and OSGeo
  2. "integration" of several open source software in a single workflow (use case) to accomplish very complex task in geospatial data analysis
  3. involve scientists that present in not deep way several tools and software


  • Candidates for the second course (istSOS + PostGIS) need to be heard. topic of the second course needs to be discussed at a later time
  • Epifanio offers technical support for the first on the osgeolive (for which I can not be directly involved in giving the workshop) and very interested in a second one more focused on sw libraries and tools
  • Information about student grant opportunities need to be added to the Wiki.
  • It remains to be determined which persons will give the short course(s) at EGU. The whole Open GeoScience group and ICA Geolabs should be contacted.
  • Epifanio will contact Maxi to discuss/push istSOS integration in the live and setup a wiki page on the osgeo wiki to plan the "Osgeolive-EGU-tuning
GSOC: Jupyter / Binder for OSGeo Live

Use Integration of geospatial OSS in educational notebooks (Jupyter/binder) on OSGeo Live (GSOC 2015 project) to omit standard OSGeo Live spin-up/installation hazzles:


  • No Desktop applications included
  • Focus on software libraries or any other project which has a command line interface (R, GRASS, OSSIM, GDAL, Python, etc .. )
  • Having a web interface for each to the workshop materials will simplify enormously the workshop logistic.
  • Cloud platform based on binder (http://mybinder.org/) essentially it give "life" to any repository which has a specific structure.
  • GSOC project example: https://github.com/epifanio/binder-docker-test the user just needs to open the browser and click to "launch binder" bunner to have access to a (osgeolive based, both data and sw) online.

"

Top 2: Outreach
  • GIS DAY 2015
    • New Hampshire Uni: Poster about OSGeo Live + OSGeo givewaways (Epifanio)
    • GFZ Potsdam (Peter): Presentation
  • MOSCOW GIS CONFERENCE: Jeff
  • SAN FRANCISCO: GSOC MENTORS SUMMIT (Madi)


Top 3: Various

Student course: Prep of a prez about OSGeo-live for RAFFALBAs students (C2 Epifanio / Madi)

Past meetings

The minutes from past meetings can be found at this page

Meeting 2015-09-02

Conference Call (via Slack: #opengeoscience channel).

Time: 19:00 hours CEST.

Background info on new EGU Sessions for the 2016 GA

Minutes OpengeoScience Committee Meeting

Participants:

Jeff McKenna Raffaele Albano Massimiliano Cannata Peter Löwe (scribe)

Channel: #opengeoscience channel on Slack

Topics

  1. 1: Potential new sessions for the EGU GA 2016
  2. 2: Short courses at EGU GA 2016
  3. 3: Promoting the new OSGeo Opengeoscience Committee

Topic 1: So far, FOSS-themend sessions have been conducted at EGU GA for the last three years. These sessions are open to "everything FOSS" and are pretty much show and tell. They are based in Earth and Space Science Informatics (ESSI) and the Hydrology division. The ESSI Sessions are non-topical and allow for contributions from all other EGU Divisions The number of presentations in these sessions continues steadily to grow (orals + posters). For now the already established sessions are to be continued. For the last two years there were also evening events kindly funded by OSGeo, to establish a OSGeo "bridgehead" @ EGU. Invited speakers are only feasible for Townhalls (and Splinters), not a regular session.

- The EGU deadline for new session proposals is Sept 18: Opportunity to launch a distinctly OSgeo-flavored session within ESSI

- Overview currently submitted/pitched sessions: http://meetingorganizer.copernicus.org/egu2016/provisionalprogramme

Proposal: A new dedicated session focusing on the high level / strategic cross-community angle (not so much research results) to submit a couple of speech about OSGeo vision of Open geoscience on the different fields: software, data, and publication. To promoting our vision and group and to start the discussion and engagement of people.

Needed: 1) a unique angle and 2) a catchy title so we attract submissions from other OSGeo-people attending EGU.


- Massimiliano offers to take the lead for the OSGeo software state-of-the art paper.

- Peter offers to write about the significance of OSGeo fpr scientific infrastructure.

- Raffaele also considers submitting a topic.

- Option: Go for a PICO ("Presenting interactive content: http://www.egu2014.eu/pico.html") session.

- Option: Coorganize the session with NH, Hydro, GI, Planetology, etc


Ideas for session title so far: "(OpenOSGeoScience) Connecting the OSGeo geospatial software communities and EGU ", "Aplications and challenges in Open Geoscience"; "Solutions and challenges of Open Geoscinence" ; "Connecting the OSGeo geospatial software communities and EGU"

Working title for the Townhall: "OSGeo meets EGU: Building an Open Geoscience Community" (consensus to have a Townhall in 2016)

Status: We're still debating the exact title of a new session, we want to do another townhall (for which we have a working title) AND there are plans for a Shourt Course, which is not on a critical deadline.

Topic 2: Short courses at EGU GA 2016

- Planning for shourt courses is not affected by Sept 18 deadline

- Raffaele will send information about this option (also) to the GeoForAll mailing list.

- Raffaele also proposes to pitch this during the ECS (Early career scientist representative committee of EGU ) meeting of the next month

Topic 3: Promoting the new OSGeo Opengeoscience Committee

- Peter volunteers to dissiminate the "hello world"-message which was sent to GeoForAll, etc. to the EGU persons which left their e-mails during the previous OSGeo-Townhalls.

- Massimiliano have sent out some private e-mails to engage people august was not the best period to find people around

- Jeff updates the osgeo.org pages (osgeo.org pages and even main wiki page links to make)

- Raffaele promotes this among young scientists (- >plans to have a email lists)


Next conf call: Wednesday, 12:00 hours CEST

Meeting 2015-9-9

Topics:

  1. 1 Title for new EGU session dedicated to OSGeo / EGU
  2. 2 Short courses at EGU GA 2016
  3. 3 Promoting the new OSGeo Opengeoscience Committee
  4. 4 Various

- Informal meeting only due to low participation (Peter, Raffaele)