Board Meeting 2006 12 15
(Redirected from Twenty Second Board Meeting)Jump to navigation Jump to search
The 22th board meeting has been tentatively scheduled for the 15th of December at 16:00 UTC (fixedtime), by phone and IRC (#osgeo) at the same time.
Communication will use the new Conference Call facilities.
- Appoint meeting secretary
- Review and approve Twenty First Board Meeting minutes
- Establish a process for consulting legal advice
- Update from Tyler
- Confirm selection of Victoria for FOSS4G 2007, discuss financial controls.
- 15h07 - 22nd board meeting called to order
- Board members present: Frank Warmerdam, Jo Walsh, Chris Holmes, Markus Neteler, Gary Lang, Venka Raghavan
- Others present: Tyler Mitchell (Executive Director), Heather Meeker (GT Law, legal counsel via Autodesk), Laura Rivera (Autodesk)
- Tyler as scribe, Frank as chair
Motion to accept previous meeting minutes
- Reviewed minutes from previous mtg.
- Gary moved to accept, Frank second, all voted in favour
Legal advice process
- Discussed formalising a process for asking/receiving legal counsel (Frank leading)
- Goal is to not overuse/misuse available resources and to keep the board in the loop
- Chris mentioned a software law group that may provide pro bono support for osgeo as a non-profit, they have open source IP experience, can also help with incorporation stuff. Chris to bring back more details about building a relationship with this group.
- Heather explained that they remain available for helping OSGeo as well
- Discussed what we have been doing already, some questions from Geotools developers are soon to be answered via Heather
- All agreed there should be 1-2 personal contacts established as gateways to/from legal counsel.
- Frank to be primary contact for software IP, incubation types of issues
- Tyler to be primary contact for other general issues
- Q&A will be posted to wiki FAQ pages as a legal knowledge-base
Executive Director Update
- General update on various facets of work Tyler has been doing
Fundraising / Sponsorship
- Starting to get more interest
- Wrote up several docs. in course of dialogue with sponsors (help sponsor osgeo, summary/overview of organisation, fundraising invitation letter)
- Invoicing procedure in place now, need some follow-up on A/P now :)
- 1Spatial background - unsolicited interest, via Geoff/Gary, various discussions/emails
- At least 2 more sponsors waiting in wings for new year
- Several GDAL sponsors
- Planning for meeting in Ottawa, it went well, believe we can find common ground.. requires follow-up recommendations
- continuing to polish our pitch and documents
- Open Tec. Development - Wash. D.C. conf. shaping up.. need OSGeo part to start iron out
- Sponsorship web pages needed now (?)
- Confusion about how other local chapters tie into the overall sponsorship plan
- summarising various account payables, ensuring invoices are being paid, answering questions as needed
- day-to-day expenses are now more manageable,
- worked with Laura regularly
- weekly follow-up discussions
- TODO: In near future - need detailed summary of accounts... etc to build transparency, waiting for software to arrive
- TODO: Tyler/Frank to discuss final approved budget
- negotiated final pricing and coordinated hosting provider contract
- several other DNS-related services now subscribed to and ready for changeover
- regular semi-weekly meeting/touching base with indictrans, CN, Bob, Shawn, Jason re: various migration tasks, reviewing migration plan and priorities
- setting up various applications and services as required for testing on community.osgeo site
- following development of content porting - focused on primary content / tools, new features are secondary
Promotion & Visibility
- Booth/attendance at GISIDEAS successful
- AU event
- Helped organise booth at AU with Nathalie/Heather, etc.
- MapGuide OS user meeting sounded great
- Great OSGeo promotion from on-stage - Andrew M, Andy M, Carsten, etc. met Liam
- Met many faces.. many more opportunities to suggest direction to MGOS marketing, education potentials, etc. .. OSGeo well received with all I spoke to
- Three specific upcoming events that have approached us: GeoTec, Location Intelligence, Where 2.0 (sort of)... how to best connect?
- Various branding/design items are wrapping up final vers. - likely by year end
- Potential to work with new sponsors marketing groups now
- Discuss conference bid with Victoria bid group
- Spoke at Ottawa local chapter meeting (~20 people)
- Newsletter status - migration to osgeo, provided editorial
- no significant progress made
- some review of budget started.. will pass crystal ball past board
- this needed also for sponsorship solicitation
- need to go through application form in more detail
- question of insurance for officers/directors
- TODO: Tyler to gather quotes for O&D insurance
Office / General
- now have a public mailing address (PO Box)
- Do we need to set up a permanent address for foundation - my office PO box is fine, otherwise need virtual service.
- Set up pretty well with supplies, etc. - will aim to get some good letterhead, etc.
- Can order biz cards if wanted
- Tracking expenses
- Various benefits forms, etc. completed
- Available more now in IRC :)
- Gary recommended a service called http://remotecontrolmail.com
- Generally agreed this was a good idea to get for OSGeo
- TODO: Tyler to check into options for this service
Motion to confirm FOSS4G conference venue
- Victoria, BC, Canada was chosen by Conference Committee as venue for 2007 conference
- Frank motioned to confirm this selection, Jo seconded, all were in favour
- Discussed need to have point person for helping contract set up for venue confirmation needed, etc.
- Agreed to ask conference committee to come up with a process for how to manage funds, etc. approval process, and have board agree on process
- Tyler will be available for signing, coordinating on behalf of OSGeo proper
- Discussed support request for some training events in India next year
- Tyler to follow up with indictrans/schuyler to see if OSGeo India has funding already and if this is an official OSGeo India initiative
Motion to close meeting
16:00UTC - Gary moves to close, Jo seconded, all voted in favour