United Kingdom Chapter Report 2009
United Kingdom Local Chapter Report for 2009
- Contact name: Jo Cook
- 2009 was the year in which the UK Local Chapter was officially recognised.
- Membership of our mailing list has grown to 80 members, and we have our own website at http://www.osgeo.org/uk
- In 2009 we co-organised OSGIS 2009, the UK's first open source GIS conference, with the Centre for Geospatial Sciences at the University of Nottingham. This was a big success that we hope to repeat in 2010.
Areas for Improvement
- We need people to organise small-scale get-togethers such as lunch-time talks all over the country to keep the momentum going, so we don't rely too much on one or two people speaking at national conferences.
- We need to set the local chapter up as a voluntary organisation. This gives us the option to have a bank account and raise money for promotion, printing publicity materials and transport to and from events.
Opportunities to Help
- Get Involved! Visit our web site and sign up for the mailing list http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/uk. If you think of an event that could benefit from an OSGeo presence then let us know.
Outlook for 2010
- Look out for OSGIS 2010 in Nottingham, this June http://www.opensourcegis.org.uk/. This will be bigger, better, and shinier then OSGIS 2009!