(Redirected from User:Nikos)
|City:||Trikala; Genève; Ebringen; Ispra;|
|Country:||Greece; Switzerland; Germany; Italy|
|Email:||nik at nikosalexandris dot net|
|Instant Messaging:||skype nikos.alexandris|
|Language(s):||Ελληνικά; Deutsch; English; Français|
|Personal Description :|| - Contributed GRASS-GIS Add-Ons:
(Feb - Mar. 2014)
URIs of the form "nik at nikosalexandris dot net" are not allowed.
OSGeo Experience and Roles:
- OSGeo Experience
- e-mail nik at nikosalexandris dot net | skype nikos.alexandris | Signal
- scarcely updating personal webspace nikosalexandris.net/xpress (diverse content in Greek, German and English)
OSGeo Related Activities
- Chief Returning Officer for GRASS-GIS' PSC Election 2016
- OSGeo Charter Member (since August 2014)
- Talks in FOSSCOMM 2014, in Greek, about "Προ-Επεξεργασία Δορυφορικών Εικόνων Υψηλής Ανάλυσης με το GRASS-GIS, Παράδειγμα Χρησιμοποιώντας Εικόνες QuickBird2", Lamia, Greece
(Feb - Mar. 2014)
- Talks about GRASS-GIS in TERI University, Delhi, India
- Talks about GRASS-GIS in Kurukshetra University, Kurukshetra, India
- Held a workshop titled "Processing High Resolution Satellite Imagery with GRASS-GIS, An Example Using QuickBird2 Imagery" in Kurukshetra University, Kurukshetra, India
- Articles (2017) Remote sensing of burned areas via PCA, Part 1; centering, scaling and EVD vs SVD; Remote sensing of burned areas via PCA, Part 2: SVD-based PCA using MODIS and Landsat data
- Remote Sensing Scientist in Land Resources Unit, D3, JRC, European Commission, Ispra, Italy --- Since January 2017
- Geospatial support for mapx.io, UNEP/GRID-Geneva --- December 2015 to September 2016 (10 months)
- Vulnerability evaluation of Greek fir forests to climate change, independent research project supported by DEMETER --- March 2015 to September 2015
- Remote Sensing Analyses & Mapping for the project Monitoring The Restoration of Mangrove Ecosystems from Space for the Climate Change Adaptation at UNEP --- April 2013 to December 2013 (9 months)
- Supported the implementation of a remote sensing methodology for the ArcFuel project, Consultant for Epsilon International SA, Marousi, Athens, Greece --- November 2012 – March 2013 (5 months)
- Defended doctoral thesis, dealing with PCA-based burned area mapping using public data and GFOSS, on June 29th, 2011. Thesis published at freidok.uni-freiburg.de on December 15th, 2011.
- Awarded the Sofia Chlorou Bequest scholarship   from the National Metsovian Polytechnic University (NTUA, Athens, Greece), in order to complete the doctoral studies --- October 2005 to October 2009.
- Participates as an end-user in various GFOSS projects and received a certificate for significant contribution to the Student Consortium Newsletter --- (since) 2008.
- As an intern visited UNEP/DEWA/GRID (Geneva, Switzerland) working on burned area mapping with free & open source geospatial applications --- October 2007 to February 2008.
- Joined Infoterra GmbH (Friedrichshafen, Germany) working as a Remote Sensing & GIS analyst in European projects -- geoland, GSE-Land, CORINE change detection --- March 2005 to September 2006.
- Enrolled as a doctoral candidate in the Department of Remote Sensing and Landscape Information Systems (FeLIS), Albert-Ludwig University (Freiburg i. Br., Germany) --- October 2005.
- Graduated from the faculty Forest & Natural Environment in the Aristotle University (AUTh, Thessaloniki, Greece), showing strong interest for GIS-supported tasks --- October 1999 to July 2004.
- User page in GRASS-Wiki; Contributions in GRASS-Wiki
- Profile on Stack Exchange