WebCom Meeting 20060802

From OSGeo
Jump to: navigation, search

Web Site Committee Meeting Agenda

Meeting Info

Chair:  Jason
IRC:  #osgeo
When:  18:00 (6 pm) UTC on August 2nd

Agenda Items

  • Update on Drupal experiment?
    • Jo?
  • Update on moving content from news project?
    • Frank?
  • Content creation priorities
    • Need "landing pages" for various sectors/user types?
  • Discuss web site design direction
    • Just what do we want?

IRC Logs

http://logs.qgis.org/osgeo/%23osgeo.2006-08-02.log - from 10.00

Minutes

In attendance: Jason Birch, Jo Walsh, Frank Warmerdam, Andrew Kelly, Tyler Mitchell, Perry Nacionales, Dave Patton

The drupal experiments are going really promisingly. Drupal makes a lot of things really easy - it's a strong recommendation at this point. Jo and Tyler have been working on a prototype 'portal' type site which could be a good replacement for www.osgeo ... (it has LDAP support now). It needs design help.

Frank is going to run a link checker over the www project - possibly http://validator.w3.org/checklink is useful

The news project is going to be deleted by removing it from subversion

Jason is making a set of overview pages like Why Open Source Geospatial and also solicits peoples' contributions to these and to developing 'user story' type introductions. The one-page brochures describing each project should also go on the site - they are good overviews.

There is a discussion of design direction. This veers into collabnet issues - how customisable will the layout of the collabnet site be... there are lots of usability issues for text-only readers / search indexers. HTTPS by default is not helping much and it would be good to turn it off. One should submit queries via the request tracker on https://support.osgeo.org/ says Andrew.

We need a design/CSS person to help produce standard style layout - CSS and colourscheme / logo imagery.

Action Item: Tyler to follow up with Fred Pook from DM about help with css and layout - also to help make templates / work with designer if nesc /

https://www.osgeo.org/scdocs/RemoteBranding.html.en describes how we can customise CN to some extent.