What The Open Source Geospatial Foundation Can Do For You
Jump to navigation Jump to search
This is a five minute talk about the isness of OSGeo that is designed to get people who have an open source orientation but not much of a GIS orientation psyched about what we are doing.
- OSGeo is a "new kind of foundation"
- Geospatial stack - the projects are by nature complementary - analogy unix kernel, userspace, network space - "need one another" - thus coming together
- What projects get out of coming together:
- OSGeo is about more than just software
- This is partly specific to the GIS domain
- It's extremely data-driven - open source developers need open access to data
- It's very "civic-minded" - 80% of government information is geospatial
- It needs deep background - educational resources are crucial
- Something optimistic yet pragmatic
- Something inspiring
That's probably 5 minutes?
Comments so welcome!