Monthly meetups are first Wednesday of every month - now ONLINE ONLY - and found at Meetup.com/OSGeo-Alberta-Chapter
Learn about Open Source Geospatial Foundation at OSGeo.org
Join the Alberta Chapter Mailing List: http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/alberta
Add yourself as a member here OSGeo Alberta Members after requesting your wiki credentials https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Special:RequestAccount
Points of Interest and Objectives noted as meetings progress
Connect the Community in Building Tools
- Lightning Talk style meetups with several builders/speakers per event
- Project Pitch/Workshops where folks can bring their problems to the group for discussion or just show how they've accomplished certain things to elicit better/best practices or new approaches
- We have had discussions on two proposed projects:
- Jeremy Squires proposed a tool for aiding constituents in responding to civic development proposals;
- Cassidy Rankine proposes building a tool for sharing radon measurements in our community and elsewhere
- We have had discussions on two proposed projects:
- Execute on Alberta Chapter project for demonstration at FOSS4G2020 conference here in Calgary, August 2020
- This has not been discussed in any recent meetings. Reach out if you would like to champion it.
Connect the Community in Learning Tools
- Evangelizing OSGeo projects and applications
- Project Overview sessions
- Workshop sessions ( install app, shared learning )
Setup the Chapter for Ongoing Success
This has not been discussed since the December 2019 meeting. Most recent attendees have encouraged a very informal environment.
- Develop a chapter leadership structure
- Review Chapter best practice / Touch base with other chapters
- Leverage Lessons Learned
Contribute to OSGeo Projects
- Execute Code-Sprints culminating in pull requests
- Please reach out if you are interested in championing specific projects
Create Resources for Ongoing Use
- Open Source Geospatial Community Stakeholders Directory
- Scott McHale would like to get feedback on creating a directory here of people and organizations with contributions to, and needs of, the geospatial community. The intent is to connect presenters with learners and users with creators.
- Open Data
- Develop a well-understood, well-curated repository of open data sources ( not a one-time list of links thrown on a page )
- see the page OSGeo Alberta Members (feel free to add yourself - after creating a wiki login - https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Special:RequestAccount)
- Our email list is active and monitored. Please see http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/alberta .
- SLACK: Everyone is welcome to join us on the #osgeo-alberta channel of The Spatial Community Slack workspace. Information about joining The Spatial Community can be found here: https://thespatialcommunity.org/
- Adding to Wiki: Request a Wiki account here - https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Special:RequestAccount
- Meetup.com: All of our Meetups will be administered through meetup.com for the time being. Join Alberta Chapter group here: https://www.meetup.com/OSGeo-Open-Source-Geospatial-Consortium-Alberta-Chapter/
We have a venue - Thanks, Assembly Coworking Space, for a monthly meetup in Calgary. The guys restarting this chapter are mostly in Calgary. We could really use participants/organizers from elsewhere in the province ( Edmonton / Lethbridge, I'm looking at you ).
Our meetings are now scheduled for the first Wednesday of each month at Assembly. For more info check the postings on the OSGeo Alberta Chapter page on Meetup.com.
If you have suggestions or comments or anything else, please use the mailing list to allow for transparency.
Any suggestions on the best way to include online/phone participants for all meetings would be appreciated.
- We are looking to hold events in Edmonton and the Calgary-based organizers are willing to travel to host an event, if needed. Help in identifying Edmonton ( and surrounding area ) speakers, sponsors, and venues would great.
Other Places in Alberta
C'mon, Lethbridge! You're the remote sensing capital of Canada!
Reach out via the any of our communication channels if you want to help organize something. The Calgary organizers are willing to travel to host but help in finding speakers, sponsors, venues would be appreciated. Local champions don't require Calgary organizers to attend.
Alberta Chapter Meetings
Monthly Meetups are held the first Wednesday of each month at Assembly Coworking Space from 5.30pm to 7.30pm. (CURRENTLY ONLINE ONLY)
- Our meetings are online using Jitsi Meet at this link: https://meet.jit.si/OSGeoAlbertaChapterMonthlyMeetup
- Join by phone: 647.243.6108 | Meeting ID 2203355915
Meetups are posted to Meetup.com as well: https://www.meetup.com/OSGeo-Alberta-Chapter/
Other Geospatial Groups of Interest
- Alberta Geomatics Group - https://www.albertageomaticsgroup.ca
- Our email list: http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/alberta
- Neighbours in the British Columbia Chapter - mainly Vancouver, Victoria, but also a few folk in the interior/north. Some may be interested in co-hosting meetings, etc.
- Canada page giving a good national view
see the same section in Calgary IG on GIS software and Alberta GeoData