Board Meeting 2017-11-21
This board meeting is scheduled for 21 November 2017 (as continuation of previous meeting) at  through IRC and follow up voting on Loomio.
- roll call
- appoint meeting chair, meeting scribe/secretary
- Approve previous meeting minutes
- Review action items from previous meeting
- Jeff / Maxi volunteer to work on converting project report from google document to wiki
- Vasile to coordinate sharing of travel calendars and establish when two board members can meet
- Angelos to ask 4-5 projects to attend the next meeting (from those who did not attend AGM), request slide to complete AGM presentation
- Vasile to schedule f2f meeting
- Maria A, Jody and Angelos to coordinate direct email campaign to project officers and set up wiki pages for 2018 budget
- Maria A schedule second meeting, using doodle poll
- Plan a F2F meeting
- Review/revise sponsors program for 2018
- Project review GDAL/OGR (2016-2017 report)
- Project review GeoTools (2017 report)
- Project review Marble
- Discuss alternative to Dropbox
- Discussion about Officer positions (President, Vice-Presidents, Secretary)
- Dissolve Geodata Committee
- Draft 2018 budget update (funds for website management need to be added, make it a funded position?)
- Relationship with AGU & possible MoU (thread)
- Request to leverage GSoC 500 USD grant for 1 student's travel to FOSDEM devroom 2018 (thread)
- Usage of OSGeo logo and name - see style guide
- Discuss possibility of a Charter Members meeting, as part of the OSGeo Code Sprint in March (thread)
Appoint meeting chair, meeting scribe/secretary
- Attending: Angelos, Jody, Michael, Maria A, Jeff, Astrid, Vasile, Maria B, Helena.
- Presiding: Angelos
- Scribing: Michael
- Meeting to last 1h
- Report from Michael that OSGeo non profit taxes for 2016 filed with IRS and accepted
Approve previous meeting minutes
- MOT1: Motion to approve Board meeting minutes of 2017-11-02 (see motions section)
Review action items from previous meeting
Action 1: Jeff / Maxi volunteer to work on converting project report from google document to wiki
- Jeff reported no progress
- Proposal to start working on previous work as a template and update
- To be further discussed on mailing list.
Action 2: Vasile to coordinate sharing of travel calendars and establish when two board members can meet
- Proposal to merge this action with the F2F Board meeting proposal
- This would result in opening an account in Netherlands
- Treasurer would be able to sign the document
Action 3: Angelos to ask 4-5 projects to attend the next meeting (from those who did not attend AGM), request slide to complete AGM presentation
- Angelos invited 7 projects to attend the meeting
- QGIS and gvSIG did not make it this time due to traveling and officer change
- 2 did not respond (FDO, GEOS)
- 3 present in this meeting (GDAL, GeoTools, Marble)
- More invitations to go out for next meeting by Angelos
- Discussions about the need of Officer presence on a yearly basis or just asking an offline report: having attendance on a meeting is considered better than offline report for Q&A
Action 4: Vasile to schedule f2f meeting
- Vasile provided draft
Action 5: Maria A, Jody and Angelos to coordinate direct email campaign to project officers and set up wiki pages for 2018 budget
- Not discussed in this meeting
Action 6: Maria A schedule second meeting, using doodle poll
Project review GDAL/OGR
- Welcome Even Rouault
- Report available here
- Great project report
- PSC does not hold meetings
- Project very healthy technically: frequent releases, lots of users.
- PSC uses an email process and well documented: topic discussions occur on the mailing list and are subjects to RFC and motions for big topics
- GDAL/OGR is one of those low-level libraries that Paul Ramsey identified in his keynote that are important to everyone, but hard to fund ongoing maintenance.
- No specific request from the project to the board.
- PSC chair asked for budget input from PSC, no specific request. Funding the OSGeo code sprint is a good way to support the project.
- Action: Even to add the new OSGeo logo on gdal.org
- Discussion if OSGeo can fund new features as part of a project budget: OSGeo wouldn't really fund the new features, we'd fund the project and if the project wanted to use that for new features, that would be a PSC decision.
- Feedback from Michael: we are a non profit, but donations to us are not tax exempt so its not the same situation as if donations were tax exempt. It was actually an issue in our non profit status, the IRS didn't want us to be a type that accepted tax-exempt donations so that companies could fund development without paying taxes.
Project review GeoTools
- Welcome Jody Garnett
Plan Face to face meeting
- Discussion to do the F2F meeting just before Bonn Code Sprint
- Jeff McKenna to send the Project Review document to the Board (pending from previous meetings) - Moving discussion to mailing list
- Face to face meeting planning - To be combined with European bank account opening - Moving discussion to mailing list
- Angelos to ask more projects to report to the next Board meeting
- Even to add new OSGeo logo to gdal.org
MOT1: Motion to approve Board meeting minutes of 2017-11-02.
- Motion by Angelos
- Seconded by Michael
- Approve: Michael, Jody, Maria A, Angelos, Astrid, Jeff, Maria B
- Moved to Loomio:
- Outcome: Pending.