Google Code In 2017
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Central page for administering OSGeo participation in Google Code In 2017
- Google Code In program has been officially announced
- Google Code In main page
- How Google Code-in Works
- Examples of Google Code-in Tasks
- Logo, flyer and presentation
- Roles and responsibilities of Students, Mentors and Admins
- Full timeline
- Oct 9 2017: Open source organizations can apply to be mentoring organizations (we should have mentors and tasks by then)
- Nov 28 2017: Contest opens for entries by student participants
- Jan 15 2018: Deadline for students to claim new tasks
- Jan 17 2018: All student work must be submitted; contest ends
- Jan 18 2018: Mentoring organizations complete all evaluations of students’ work
- Jan 31 2018: Grand Prize Winners and Finalists announced
- June (exact dates TBD): Grand Prize Winner’s Trip
Interested mentors / volunteers
Willing mentors must write to gsoc-admin(at)osgeo.org and will be sent a form to fill in.
Kickoff (virtual) meeting
- 2017-09-25 at 20.00 UTC
- On IRC in the #osgeo-gsoc channel on irc.freenode.net (connect directly in your browser via webchat)
- discuss ideas for tasks for the students
- plan to share mentor invites to all OSGeo projects
- The how it works page doesn't mention how the word of this gets out to students, or does Google handle that?? How is promotion to students handled??
- Discuss the opportunity to create "virtual environments" for the students to play with, and eventually come up with a patch? For example, for tasks that would otherwise require access to sensitive systems, e.g. SAC, web pages, etc..
- It is not clear to me if it's possible to use more than one bug tracker or we must use the osgeo tracker for all the projects
- Is it necessary for the students to pick from different "types" of tasks or they can decide to complete only one type?
- What is the minimum number of tasks we need to get ready by the deadline, and what is the deadline to prepare the tasks: Oct 9th (Open source organizations can apply to be mentoring organizations) or Nov 28th (Contest opens for entries by student participants)?