New York Code Sprint 2010
Get together project members to make decisions and tackle larger problems (as done last year at the Toronto Code Sprint 2009). This code sprint is targeting members of the "C Tribe" (eg, Mapserver, GRASS, GDAL, Proj, PostGIS, MapGuide). Other tribes are welcome to join the sprint, of course, but we hope that "C Tribe" members will give this event special consideration.
The Open Planning Project
148 Lafayette Street
New York, New York
Dates: February 20 to 23, 2010.
Duration: Four days (Saturday to Tuesday) from approximately 9am-4pm
We will again be looking for sponsors to support food and fun for the sprinters as they work hard and play hard for four productive days. Each $750 sponsorship will be put towards lunch and dinner costs for the sprinters, and potentially bringing in sprinters who might otherwise be unable to attend.
To sponsor, please contact Paul Ramsey (pramsey at cleverelephant dot ca) directly.
Holiday Inn SoHo (Map)
138 Lafayette Street
New York, New York 10013
Participants should plan for the following costs:
- Travel to New York, variable depending on where you are.
- Accommodation for four nights, $300 to $600 depending on what room you choose and whether you room share.
- Breakfast, dinner and other snacks.
- The sponsorship moneys will be put towards: lunches, dinners (?), travel for some sprinters (?), Saturday night social event (?).
- Please join the mailing list:
- IRC chat during the event:
We are planning for attendance of 20-40. Please add your name and the projects you are hoping to sprint on, if you have a strong intention to attend.
- Paul Ramsey (PostGIS, Mapserver, Proj)
- Frank Warmerdam (MapServer, GDAL, Proj)
- Schuyler Erle
- Jeff McKenna (MapServer) - will join virtually
- Michael P. Gerlek (or someone like me) (liblas, anything touching MrSID, other stuff tbd)
- Steve Lime (MapServer)
- Michael Smith (Mapserver)
- Perry Nacionales (MapServer)
- Daniel Morissette (MapServer)
- Alan Boudreault (MapServer)
- Thomas Bonfort (MapServer)
- Yewondwossen Assefa (MapServer)
- Olivier Courtin (PostGIS, TinyOWS)
- Howard Butler (Mapserver, GDAL, OSGeo SAC, libLAS)
- Katie Filbert (PostGIS, GDAL, OpenStreetMap)
- Jim Klassen (MapServer, GeoMOOSE, potentially OpenStreetMap)
If you would like to room share,
- Reserve a room at the hotel, choosing a type with more than one bed.
- Put your name in this section, indicating the amount of space in your room.
Put your names below:
- Schuyler Erle (lives in Brooklyn, can host 1 or 2 guests)
- example entry: B has a triple room, needs two roommates.
- Bring your own computer
- Install subversion and the compiler tools, and come with a working development environment if possible.
- Is the New York Code Sprint just a coding event?
- Yes, a coding and documentation event. It is a working session for people who are already participants in open source projects.
- Will it be possible to present new projects during this event?
- No, this is not a presentation-oriented event. People will get together in small groups and work on areas of mutual interest within their projects.
- To be determined
Getting to the Sprint
From Newark International
- Follow the signs to the Air Train. Before going up the escalator, buy a ticket to New York, Penn Station at one of the machines.
- Take the Air Train to the rail station at the end, if you forgot to buy your rail ticket, you have another opportunity here (usually with a lineup).
- Catch a train to Penn Station (usually at platform 1/2), check the board.
- At Penn Station,
- leave the station and grab a taxi, or,
- leave the station and walk to 34th and 6th to pick up yellow line ((N) (Q) (R) and (W) trains) downtown to Canal St Station, walk from there, or,
- follow the signs in Penn to the blue line ((A) and (C) trains) and ride downtown to Canal St Station, walk from there.
- Follow the signs to the AirTrain.
- Take the AirTrain to the Sutphin Boulevard ((J) and (Z) trains) subway station (aka Jamaica Station).
- Transfer to the (J) or (Z) train heading to Manhattan.
- Get off at the Canal Street station (intersection of Canal and Centre), and walk from there.
- Take a taxi (~$25 + tolls (~$3))