return to Alberta Chapter
- From the Fed Govt:
- Reference Grids dataset (includes DLS to Section level): http://geopub.nrcan.gc.ca/publist_e.php?term=REFERENCE+GRIDS&_m=3&_w=on
- http://www.altalis.com/prod_prop_ats.html (click on Sample tab to download corner coordinate list)
- B.C.: ?
- Saskatchewan Twps (requires registration(free)):
- https://www.geosask.ca/Portal/ (go to the Pre-packaged Data Gallery)
- Manitoba (requires registration(free)):
- http://mli2.gov.mb.ca/ (go to Quarter Section Grids)
As always, review the license agreements before using...
Digital Elevation Models
- 1 Degree SRTM tiles:
- browse upwards for a description of the data
- the file names are in degree, N for North and W for West - hence Calgary would be something like N51W114
- to use it in a GIS that can read bil files (e.g. MapWindow GIS) rename the *.hgt file to *.bil and create a header (*.hdr) file (see the one pdf document for use in ArcInfo on that)
World Wide GeoData for Map Making
- Natural Earth Data - small scale data prepared for map scales of 1:10m, 1:50m, 1:110m (the topography layer looks really beautiful)
- OpenStreetMap Data of Canada - very detailed... probably needs generalization for applications
- Digital Chart of the World - I think the scale is somewhat between 1:50k-1:100k. The data may also be not the newest, but its free!