Board Meeting 2006 06 23

From OSGeo
Jump to: navigation, search

The 12th board meeting has been scheduled for the 23rd of Jun at 15:00 UTC (fixedtime), by phone and IRC (#osgeo) at the same time.

From Skype call : +99038275318640

To use a regular phone:

 From the US: call # 1-419-753-7120 (free, long distance costs apply).
 From the UK: call # 0870-119-2350 (10p/minute).

Your Conference Room Number is: 5318640.

Agenda

  • Appoint meeting secretary
  • Review and approve prior meeting minutes
  • Review and approve Official IncCom Documents (status), already approved by the Incubation Committee.
  • Review and approve Local Chapter Guidelines (still being drafted).
  • Approve Michael Gerlek as chair of VisCom.
  • Enumerate accomplishments so far, for publication on the web site
  • Discuss possible merger of Webcom and SAC, or WebCom into VisCom, or possible assignment of Jason Birch as chair of WebCom.
  • Discuss how we will execute the top five priorities of OSGeo
  • Confirm dates/process for Board re-election (March 2007 rather than Sept 2006? This needs to go to wider discussion?
  • Review draft budget from face to face meetings, and possibly approve. (see f2f minutes)

Minutes

MINUTES OF A MEETING OF THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS OF THE OPEN SOURCE GEOSPATIAL FOUNDATION A Delaware non-stock corporation.

On Jun 23, 2006, at 8:00 am Pacific time, pursuant to notice duly given, the Board of Directors (the "Board") of the Open Source Geospatial Foundation (the "Foundation" or "OSGeo") held a meeting by teleconference. The meeting lasted two hours.

Present at the meeting were the following members of the Board: Frank Warmerdam, Mark Lucas, Jo Walsh, Chris Holmes, Arnulf Christl, Gary Lang, and Markus Neteler. Also present at the request of the Board were Andrew Kelly and Auke Jildera of the Community Management team. All participants on the call indicated that they could hear one another. Additionally, Internet Relay Chat was used for backup purposes (#osgeo on irc.freenode.net). Mr. Warmerdam was appointed chairperson of the meeting. Finding a quorum present, Mr. Warmerdam called the meeting to order. Mark Lucas was appointed secretary of the meeting.

APPROVAL OF MINUTES

The Board first approved by general consent the minutes of the meeting held on 9 Jun 2006 and the Face to Face minutes on 11 and 12 June 2006.

ROTATING BOARD CHAIR

It was previously decided that that the board needed a clear chair responsible for scheduling meetings, creating basic agendas. It was decided that the chair role would rotate on a monthly basis with Frank Warmerdam doing it for June, and Mark Lucas for July.

AGENDA ITEMS

  • Appoint meeting secretary - Mark Lucas

Discussion on Local Chapter Guidelines. Arnulf, summarized status. Gary commented that it is still in discussion. Basically starts with wiki and mailing list. Frank, establish principles, manage by exception. Arnulf, start with a wiki, apply to start a project. Need to establish clear guidelines and approval levels for when the Local Chapter can represent the OSGeo.

Need to update the pages to specify when they can use OSGeo branding, Arnulf proposes that we circulate discussion and defer until next meeting.

  • Approve Michael Gerlek as chair of VisCom. - Approved
  • Enumerate accomplishments so far, for publication on the web site
    • Where 2.0
    • Incubation process approved
    • International participation in OSGeo, chapter process being worked, show where we people are coming from.

Gary will post, and send board email summary, put the link into the minutes,

  • Discuss possible merger of Webcom and SAC, or WebCom into VisCom, or possible assignment of Jason Birch as chair of WebCom.

There were some concerns about viscom being overtasked. It was agreed that VisCom and WebCom should collaborate and coordinate and that the WebCom is encouraged to create content and not just mechanically implement the web system.

Motion was made by Arnulf to make Jason Birch chair of WebCom with mandate to create content. Motion approved

Frank and Arnulf want to work more closely with SAC to help move implementation along

This item began a lengthy and productive discussion of the top priority of OSGeo - building and supporting a stack. Many of the processes and committees that have been implemented to date are providing a path to formalize and review individual projects. A large part of the time was spent on how we move project integration forward, do we modify the incubation process to do this? Need to integrate on Telascience, packaging, deploying. Should be our top priority, how do we move this forward. Lot of discussion on certification, integration, unification. What do projects, users, and companies get out of OSGeo. Certification by the committee - incubation.

What is the forcing function to begin this process? One suggestion was to try to compare the various capabilities of the projects and where they are ideally applied. Are there multiple stacks - client tools, simple map servers, complex geo-spatial processing integrations that should be pursued? Do we fund this? Can we get someone else to fund it? Arnulf suggested that we could perform the equivalent of focus studies to determine from potential customers what they would like to see from OSGeo in this regard. Gary suggested that we ought to focus on three presentation opportunities after seeking additional input. We agreed to circulate ideas and review again in a week.

  • Confirm dates/process for Board re-election (March 2007 rather than Sept 2006? This needs to go to wider discussion?

Discussed and agreed on a March 2007 re-election for half the board. Frank is going to summarize and circulate to a wider audience.

  • Review draft budget from face to face meetings, and possibly approve. (see f2f minutes)

Defer budget discussion until next Board meeting.


ADJOURNMENT