Face to Face Meeting Summer 2006
The board has been discussing the idea of getting people together for a face-to-face meeting to establish, and work on, priorities. A meetup / workshop needs clear goals. If we could set them, this could be a really useful occasion.
When and Where
June 11th and 12th at the Autodesk San Rafael offices.
This is just preceeding the Where 2.0 conference June 13/14 in San Jose which is relatively nearby. (According to Google, San Rafael to San Jose is 67 miles / 74 minutes.)
Board members and committee members of VisCom, WebCom and the Fundraising committees are encouraged to attend.
- Frank Warmerdam (Board, FunCom)
- mpg (VisCom)
- Arnulf Christl (Board, VisCom)
- Jo Walsh (Board)
- Dave McIlhagga (Board, FunCom, VisCom)
- Gary Lang (Board, FunCom)
- Tyler Mitchell (VisCom)
- Mark Lucas (Board)
- Chris Holmes (Board, VisCom)
- Peter Moran (VisCom)
- 09:00-10:00 - Muster at Autodesk HQ (coordinating with Laura)
- 10:00-12:00 - General discussion re: Where 2.0 planning - large group (as below under goals)
- 12:00-1:00 - Lunch break (lunch brought in)
- 1:00-3:00 - Breakout Viscom/Funcom groups
- 3:00-5:00 - Continued large group discussion re: Board items
- 5:00-6:00 - Dinner break (reservation at restaurant, with room for having more discussion)
- 6:00-9:00 - Continue large group discussion
- 08:30-09:00 - Gather
- 09:00-12:00 - Board, Incubation and Viscom breakouts
- 1:00-3:00 - Large group session and wrap-up
- - Travel to San Jose
For a one- or two- day meeting there need to be clear goals identifiable.
- We should soon figure out what the title and requirements of membership are. At Where 2.0 many people will want to know how to become a member (also at FOSS4G2006 Lausanne)
- Presentation / material planning for Where
- Assessing needs for online tools for next year
- OSGeo Web style established.
- Project style guidelines.
- Content plan completed.
- How to acquire more WebCom staff?
- Develop a 2005/2006 budget.
- Clarify re-elections of directors (2006 or 2007?)
- General strategy discussions.
- Discuss the stated priorities and how we meet them.
- Make sure that the VisCom is as focused on promoting OSGeo projects as it is OSGeo itself, (if not more?)
- Try to reach consensus on new projects to admit to incubation.
- Discuss ideas for starting cross-collaboration between projects.
- Briefing by Mark Lucas on open source related activities within DOD.
- Local Chapter Guidelines
- Prepare conference presentation materials (for Where 2.0, and more general use).
- General strategy discussions.
- Outreach strategy
- Decide migration of GRASS Newsletter Vol 4 to OSGeo Newsletter Vol 1
- Develop sponsorship model
- Identify sources of income
Lodging and Travel
- See Itineraries section below for other attendee arrival times/places
- What hotels are near to venue?
- Embassy Suites is next door to Autodesk HQ. Use Autodesk Corporate rate of $119.
- Embassy Suites
- Best way to get from SFO to San Rafael?
- From SFO to Central San Rafael Transit Center by Marin Airporter Marin Airporter Service (approx. 50 minutes) for $17
- Then take taxi from Central San Rafael Transit Center to Embassy Suites (5-10 minutes) approx. $10
- Meet up at SFO or SJC to share rental (see Itineraries below)
- Best way to get from San Rafael to San Jose at end of meeting? Share a bus/van?
Possibly futile attempt at collaborative scheduling as follows:
Saturday, June 10 (day before meeting)
- 5:00 pm - mpg arrives SJC
- 5:30 pm - mpg drives to San Rafael with pickups at SFO (space available, will rent large car if needed)
- 5:00 pm - TM arrives SFO would like to catch/share ride to San Rafael
- 12:15 pm - cholmes arrives OAK, spends day with friends.
Sunday, June 11 (1st meeting day)
- morning - cholmes is looking for a ride to San Rafael from SF area
- 11:00 pm - mlucas arrives SFO, rents car, drives to San Rafael
Monday, June 12 (2nd meeting day)
- evening - mpg drives to Where 2.0 (space available, will rent large car if needed)
- evening - mlucas drives to Where 2.0 " "
- evening - cholmes rides with one of the above to Where 2.0
- PixieHunt starts 7:30(?)
Tuesday, June 13 (day after meeting)
- Where 2.0
Wednesday, Jun 14
- Where 2.0
- evening - mlucas drives to SFO to catch a 10pm flight
Click here for the meeting minutes Meeting Minutes Summer 2006.
See also Face To Face Action Items.
See also Proposed Membership Rules#Specifics.