Board Meeting 2010-07-01

From OSGeo
Jump to: navigation, search


This board meeting is scheduled for the ist of July 2010 at 17:00 UTC, on IRC (#osgeo and follow-up Skype call to vote on motions).

Agenda

  • Adopt previous minutes
  • Motion: Change OSGeo's trademark guidelines to allow and ecourage the use of the term "OSGeo Foundation" for example when mentioning in contexts with Local Chapters.
  • Motion: Support White Paper jointly edited by OGC and OSGeo on "Open Standards and Open Source"
  • Update on infrastructure upgrades
  • Update on FOSS4G 2011 process
  • Discussion on the Nottingham OSGL initiative
  • Start brainstorm of next few years objectives and strategy (Tyler)
  • update about the Face to Face Meeting Barcelona 2010
  • Please add your items here

Minutes

  • Detailed IRC logs available here.

Attending: Tyler, Arnulf, Ari, Jeff, Markus, Christopher,

Action Summary

  1. Arnulf to update web references for clarity in trademark guidelines re: OSGeo Foundation reference.
  2. Arnulf to continue working with OGC to clean up the collaborative whitepaper, updating the board list as it moves forward, and board members to support him with feedback, and an additional meeting to vote when the paper is complete.
  3. Tyler to pull together a video/screencast of strategy brainstorm ideas he's collected
  4. Board to provide 1 and 5 year outlooks for success - Tyler forward to board list
  5. Jeff to check into getting a room for a meeting via the LOC
  6. Directors to add discussion items to the f2f meeting agenda and consider other committee/community leads that might benefit from participating in part
  7. Arnulf to ask Paul if he could help coordinate Charter and Director Elections for us this year.


Detailed Minutes

  • Board Meeting 2010-06-03 minutes approved.
  • General discussion about using "OSGeo Foundation" as main reference back to the organisation, as opposed to local chapters, etc. Basic agreement, no formal motion, just some clarity on our trademarks guidelines page.
    • Arnulf to update web references for clarity.
  • Joint White Paper with OGC
    • discussion pointed to some lack of clarity of purpose of process and target audience. Some opinions shared previously in email.
    • Goal is to help educate OGC members and public about the use of the term "open" when comparing orgs like OGC and OSGeo.
    • Arnulf to continue working with OGC to clean up the paper, updating the board list as it moves forward, and board members to support him with feedback, and an additional meeting to vote when the paper is complete.
  • Update on infrastructure upgrades (Chris)
    • Trac/SVN moved to new hardware - there was much rejoicing and kudos to Chris. Little more work to complete move off osgeo2 (2nd rented server to be decommissioned).
    • Chris also doing up docs for projects who want to move to the new systems. Projects who are interested should wait for these docs to be completed so they have clear guidance up front.
  • FOSS4G 2011 update (Jeff)
    • lots of prep work has been done, the LOC is working on budgets, nothing for the board to deal with yet. No formal/official announcement made yet before board approves conference committee's bid selection.
  • Discussion on the Nottingham OSGL initiative
    • Most discussion was on private list and Tyler forwarded proposal to the rest of the board during the meeting.
    • Tyler gave some background to the concept/history. Goal is to eventually have an MOU with folks like CGS/Nottingham defining clear roles. More discussion offline on mailing list since most have not had a chance to read the document.
    • Tyler, Ari, Ravi, Arnulf all met at Nottingham OSGIS event.
  • Start brainstorm of next few years objectives and strategy (Tyler)
    • Tyler/Arnulf/Ari discussed OSGeo strategic outlooks while meeting face to face in Nottingham. Tyler gave an overview of a few thoughts on building a foundation for where we want to go.
    • Tyler to pull together a video/screencast of strategy brainstorm ideas he's collected
    • Board to provide 1 and 5 year outlooks for success - Tyler forward to board list
  • Face to Face Meeting Barcelona 2010
    • Jeff to check into getting a room for a meeting via the LOC
    • Directors to add discussion items to that f2f meeting agenda and consider other committee/community leads that might benefit from participating in part
  • Charter and Director Elections
    • Arnulf asking Paul if he could help coordinate for us this year.

Next Meeting 2010-08-05

  • Arnulf and Tyler will definitely be away at that time.