Board Meeting 2010-11-18

From OSGeo
Jump to: navigation, search


This board meeting is scheduled for the 18th of November 2010 at 17:00 UTC, on IRC (#osgeo and follow-up Skype call to vote on motions).


Agenda

  • Review past minutes: Board Meeting 2010-10-14
  • Consider motion to graduate GeoMajas from incubation at the recommendation of the incubation committee, with Pieter De Graef as liaison (aka OSGeo VP, GeoMajas).
  • Discuss background for MoU
  • CGS/UoNottingham Mou
    • Select up to 2 Board reps for Advisory Committee as per MoU with UoNottingham. Report to Suchith.
    • CGS offers to host an OSGeo face-to-face meeting in Nottingham again, June 23. Need to let them know soon.
    • Potential for an OSGeo-OGC interoperability day at their OSGIS event. Need to finalise with OGC.
  • Discuss proposed changes to Protocol for requesting letter of support - bottom of page. (Tyler)
  • Status of "porting member database"?
  • Review past action items
  • please add items here

Minutes

  • Attending: Tim, Frank, Arnulf, Markus, Daniel, Ravi - 6 directors, quorum. And Tyler. Pieter De Graef attended on behalf of Geomajas.
  • Detailed IRC logs available here.

Action Summary

  1. MOTION: FrankW motions to adopt the minutes of 2010-10-14. Arnulf seconded. All were in favour.
  2. MOTION: FrankW motions to accept GeoMajas as a full OSGeo project, accepting that it has completed the incubation process, and appointing Pieter De Graef as liason / VP GeoMajas. Arnulf seconded. All were in favour.
  3. MOTION: FrankW motions to nominate Arnulf and Ari (if he is willing) to represent the board. Tim seconded, Arnulf abstained, all were in favour.

TODO...

  1. ACTION ITEM: Frank to post announcement to news channels. Copy Pieter's
  2. ACTION ITEM: Tyler add CGS MOU to wiki
  3. ACTION ITEM: Tyler to ask Ari and give names to Suchith for OSGL board
  4. ACTION ITEM: Tyler to follow up with Suchith to coordinate another stakeholders meeting following OSGIS
  5. ACTION ITEM: Tyler to draft up rough agenda for an OSGeo-OGC day at OSGIS, circulate with others on board, circulate to OGC reps, follow up with Suchith.
  6. ACTION ITEM: Tyler to edit changes to letter of support process to reflect board discussion.
  7. Next meeting: December 16th


Details

Attending: Tim, Frank, Arnulf, Markus, Daniel, Ravi - 6 directors, quorum. And Tyler. Pieter De Graef attended on behalf of Geomajas.

  • Reviewed past minutes: http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Board_Meeting_2010-10-14
    • MOTION: FrankW motions to adopt the minutes of 2010-10-14. Arnulf seconded. All were in favour.
  • MOTION: FrankW motions to accept GeoMajas as a full OSGeo project, accepting that it has completed the incubation process, and appointing Pieter De Graef as liason / VP GeoMajas. Arnulf seconded. All were in favour.
    • TODO: Post announcement to news channels. Copy Pieter's
  • Reviewing http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/MoU
    • Arnulf: There was some talk about what an MoU actually is and what it means to OSGeo.
    • Tyler: It's a good way to change discussion from "should we work together with..." to "how can we best work together with..."
    • This is the thread: http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/board/2010-November/thread.html
    • Frank: I think it can still be constructive to explain the relationship to the rest of the world that might not understand so well.
    • Tim: I haven't had time to push it farther along yet. I think if we came up with some language for an MoU with OSM that would be something concrete to center discussions around.
    • Arnulf: I have been approached by several potential candidates recently. Seems like our MoU with Nottingham was good word of mouth.
    • ACTION ITEM: Tyler add CGS MOU to wiki
  • CGS/UoNottingham Mou, selecting two reps from the osgeo board to sit on advisory committee for the OSGL t CGS initiative.
    • There is quite a list of others involved, about 11 from various communities of interest
    • MOTION: FrankW motions to nominate Arnulf and Ari (if he is willing) to represent the board. Tim seconded, Arnulf abstained, all were in favour.
    • ACTION ITEM: Tyler to ask Ari and give names to Suchith.
  • CGS offers to host an OSGeo face-to-face meeting in Nottingham again, June 23. Need to let them know soon.
    • Arnulf and Tyler planning to be at the event. Others may be convinced to come too (see next item).
    • ACTION ITEM: Tyler to follow up with Suchith to coordinate another stakeholders meeting.
  • Potential for an OSGeo-OGC interoperability day at the UoN OSGIS event. Need to finalise with OGC.
    • Tyler: this is one of the items that came out of me following up with OGC after our barcelona discussions...potential for having "more events"
    • I have to confirm this idea with them still, but basically an add-on day to the OSGIS event that is focused on OGC-OSGeo interop...a few talks and a few workshops
    • Tim: would like to be involved in an event like this, would do a workshop
    • Arnulf: Maybe we can get INSPIRE into the loop too. Lots of activities going on there now.
    • ACTION ITEM: Tyler to draft up rough agenda for the day, circulate with others on board, circulate to OGC reps, follow up with Suchith.
  • Discuss proposed changes to Protocol for requesting letter of support - bottom of page.
    • Daniel: my comment was that I was in support, except that to play safe maybe we should require more than one board member to be involved before going ahead, to reduce the risk of having to retract a letter after it's been sent out
    • Arnulf: Lets amend the wording and make a motion during the next meeting. OK?
    • Frank: I'd like to delete the item about cancelling the letters. The board can always change something, but it will be quite unfortunate if we have to and I don't think we should be promoting it as reasonable step.
    • ACTION ITEM: Edit changes to letter of support process to reflect board discussion.
  • Status of "porting member database"?
    • Tyler: I've got a member db up and running..can't get it to use LDAP for some reason so far, but that's another matter. If you want an account to see things in action, let me know. I will get the new charter members in soon, I've recently updated many many addresses, and I'll be updating sponsor info too.
  • Next meeting: December 16th
  • Tim moved to close meeting, Markus seconded, all were in favour.

Note: Votes were to be confirmed by voice voting but Skype failed utterly. Follow up votes to be confirmed via email.