Board Meeting 2013-08-15

From OSGeo
Jump to navigation Jump to search

This board meeting is scheduled for the 15th of July 2013 at 3.00 UTC on IRC and follow up voting on Skype or by email.

(Note that Aug. 15 at 3 UTC is end of the day on August 14 in NA)


  • roll call
  • appoint meeting chair, meeting scribe/secretary
  • Review and approve past minutes: Board Meeting 2013-07-11
  • Non-profit status with IRS: 501(c)3 vs 501(c)6.
  • FOSS4G 2014 in PDX:
    • Need to formally confirm decision with a public motion?
    • Appoint board rep on LOC
  • FOSS4G Nottingham updates
  • add your items here
  • Decide on who to report this meeting summary to the Discuss list
  • Schedule next meeting

Deferred items from last meeting (please move up selected items)

  • OSGeo servers security issues
  • Changes needed to Elections process
  • Need to update bylaws
    • possible half-day virtual meeting to go through necessary changes?
    • suggestion by AdrianC: Board could produce an authoritative list of all the wiki pages considered to be approved amendments to the bylaws
  • OGC Board / OSGeo Board meetup in Nottingham
    • update from Arnulf?
    • OGC very keen for this


  • Attending: Jeff, Michael, Daniel, Peter, Anne
  • Presiding: Jeff
  • Scribing: Anne

Assigned Tasks

  • Daniel: prepare a motion regarding 501(c)N application
  • Jeff: organise volunteers' presence at OSGeo booth


  • MOTION: Review and approve past minutes: Board Meeting 2013-07-11
    • aghisla/1, +1: all
  • MOTION: in accordance with secret ballot, the board accepts PDX for 2014
    • mpg/1, +1: all

Full, raw minutes notes

  • [3:00 UTC] start
  • roll call: Jeff, Daniel, Anne, Peter, Michael
  • MOTION: Review and approve past minutes: Board Meeting 2013-07-11
    • Anne/1, Daniel/second and +1, +1: Jeff, Peter, Michael
  • [3:10] Non-profit status with IRS: 501(c)3 vs 501(c)6
    • Daniel suggests to drop c3 application, as charitable donations have never been core revenue, with no growing trend either. Board agrees on this idea.
    • ACTION: Daniel will come up with a motion later in the week, after a comment timeframe given to all OSGeo members
    • Peter expresses slight preference over c6, that focuses on business interests but accepts amateurs
    • All agree on following the attorney's suggestions about 4 or 6, and refer to similar organisations.
  • [3:25] FOSS4G 2014 in Portland
  • MOTION: in accordance with secret ballot, the board accepts PDX for 2014
    • Michael/1, Daniel/second and +1, +1: Anne, Jeff, Peter
  • [3:29] Appoint board rep on LOC
    • Deferred after election of new Board, on general agreement
  • Daniel will add an item about PDX budget (to be formally approved by the Board) for next meeting
  • Michael brings 2015 RFP to discussion - ideally by end 2013. Will send a note to Discuss list
  • Daniel suggests to make the contracting/delegation of authority process for the LOC more formal. The task needs legalese skills and is a Board duty. PDX will be a beta test for new contracting mechanism. More discussion at next Board meeting.
  • [3:41] FOSS4G Nottingham updates
  • Cameron joins the meeting
    • Jeff announces AGM timeslot and location, Anne will publish news on OSGeo channels
    • ACTION: Jeff will organise volunteers' and materials' presence at OSGeo booth
    • OGC/OSGeo meetup: wait for news from Arnulf
  • [3:52] Board members check deferred items and none is to be tackled in present meeting
  • Daniel thanks Peter, Michael and Mark for their work on the Board, seconded by all attending members
  • [4:00] Board decides next meeting's time: 12th September, 20 UTC