Board Meeting 2013-10-17

From OSGeo
Jump to: navigation, search

This board meeting is scheduled for the 17th of October 2013 at 20.00 UTC on IRC and follow up voting on Skype or by email.


Agenda

  • Discuss FOSS4G LOC vs OSGeo involvement
    • Need to setup processes for managing FOSS4G
      • Template Contract with PCO
      • Non-profit aspects (taxes vs PCO, extending nonprofit status to LOC, etc.)
      • See email from PDX committee
  • Make a formal motion about potential inactive Charter members
    • Proposal: Current OSGeo Charter members who have not voted in the last two board elections will be invited (via email) to move from the current OSGeo-Charter member list to a Past OSGeo Charter Members list, and will loose their voting rights. These emailed members may either respond with a commitment to vote in future board elections, or be moved. Not responding within 3 weeks would result in being moved.
  • Discuss possibility of extended Board meeting re: OSGeo priorities
    • Discuss OSGeo vision, mission, objectives, policies updates
    • Possible business-dev position to manage sponsor relations
    • Setup one or more working groups?
    • SAC issues
  • Discuss OSGeo involvement with partner organizations:
    • Building OSGeo-OGC synergies in Geospatial Education (following up discussions at FOSS4G 2013)

1) Updating OGC-OSGeo MoU :Strengthen OSGeo-OGC collaborations building upon the MoU and extending it to other areas of synergies (esp. In Geospatial Education).Jeff (OSGeo) and Denise (OGC) to work on the details.

2) Building up Geospatial Education Collaborations : OSGeo and OGC to work together in building geospatial education opportunities. We will work together to make available resources for geospatial standards education more accessible to educators worldwide. There is lot of synergies we can build upon the ICA-OSGeo labs initiative and network for further building up geospatial education opportunities for all. OSGeo representatives (Anne, Helena, Charlie, Suchith and others interested) and OGC representatives (Luis, Denise and others) to work on this.

3) Scheduling regular quarterly virtual meetings between representatives of our organizations. Jeff to follow up this with Mark, Denise (OGC) and finalize telemeeting arrangements.


    • OGC, LocationTech, OSGeo Sponsors, (others?)
    • Need champions for each one?
  • OSGeo servers infrastructure for FOSS4G-* conferences (FOSS4G-E in this case, web server, mailing lists, several mail addresses).
    • Is it common, what about other teams, how did they do it?
    • Is it required, does OSGeo want to provide such infrastructure?
  • Cleaning the list of contributors
    • where there seems to be no PDF version of the agreement available - or I did not look into right PDF. For example Frank, he is listed twice as contributor to FDO and GeoTools, with no link to PDF document - any hint?
    • some people are listed in Corporate Contributor License Agreement, maybe having them in database one-name-per-record would be better, then (for example) OSGeo|XLM|Rui Jorge Alves, Pedro Jorge Nunes Martins, Rui Miguel Travassos, Marcia Jesus Ferreira, Helder Antonio Brandao, Andre Soares Leite|Portugal|2013-09-03
    • we have to check all the documents we've recieved, whether they are signed or not and whether this is an issue or not. More concretely: The document nr. 074.PDF, which has all the names (metioned above), is not signed by any authority by hand, just name of the CEO is metioned. Is that an issue?
  • add your items here
  • Decide on who to report this meeting summary to the Discuss list
  • Schedule next meeting

Deferred items from last meeting (please move up selected items)

  • ...

Minutes

  • Attending: Frank, Cameron, Jachym, Bart, Gerald, Anne, Jeff, Daniel, Jorge (all 9 directors)
  • Presiding: Jeff
  • Scribing: Jachym

Assigned Tasks

  • Anne send news item to Code Sprint Guidelines
  • Jachym organize doodle for 3hours f2f (still virtual) meeting (probably Hangout) for "OSGeo priorities" discussion
  • Anne publish press release on news channels mails etc. about projects, which successfully passed the incubation process

NOTE:

  • Regarding the "members, who did not provide activity for last 2 elections (new charter and board members)" issue, board set no action item

Motions

  • MOTION: to approve minutes from August meeting. http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Board_Meeting_2013-08-15
    • Anne/1, +1 8, +0 1
  • MOTION: to approve the minutes from our F2F meeting: http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Board_Meeting_2013-09-20
    • Jeff/1, +1 8, +0 1
  • MOTION: to approve Marble Virtual Globe as a graduated OSGeo project, with Torsten Rahn as project officer
    • Frank/1, +1 9
  • MOTION: to approve the Code Sprint Guidelines, after it has been tweaked to remove context words (such as "draft").
    • Cameron, Anne/2, +1 9
  • MOTION: Current OSGeo Charter members who have not voted in the last two board and charter elections will be invited (via email) to move from the current OSGeo-Charter member list to a Past OSGeo Charter Members list, and will lose their voting rights. These emailed members may either respond with a commitment to vote in future elections, or be moved. Not responding within 3 weeks would result in being moved. To be reintroduced to Charter member status, the past Charter member would need to be selected again using the standard Charter member selection process.
    • Cameron/1, +1 7, 2 abstain
  • MOTION: Proposing Anne as LocationTech liaison.
    • Anne/1, +1 8, 1 abstain

Full, raw minutes notes


  • [20:00 UTC] start, roll call (all here, with jgarnett, mdsmith and dfuhriman around)
  • [20:06 UTC] MOTION: to approve minutes from August meeting. http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Board_Meeting_2013-08-15 (passed)
  • [20:08 UTC] MOTION: motion to approve the minutes from our F2F meeting: http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Board_Meeting_2013-09-20 (passed)
  • [20:10 UTC] Discuss FOSS4G LOC vs OSGeo involvement
    • pramsey is now the board rep on the 2014 LOC
    • dfuhriman: We'd like to get that contract approved ASAP.
    • FrankW_PL notes we (the board) need to see and approve a budget before signing should occur.
    • FrankW_PL observes that the conservative attendance scenario is not very conservative.
    • dfuhriman: All of this is made up, it's meaningless, don't take any of it as truth. it's just a placeholder.
    • pramsey expected to review and approve the budget
    • public version of budget: https://www.dropbox.com/s/z5c7t8xvhuveu2x/PDX%20FOSS4g%202014%20Budget.xls
  • [20:20 UTC] Incubation committee
    • jgarnett reports, that Marble project is ready for graduation
    • MOTION: motion to approve Marble Virtual Globe as a graduated OSGeo project. (passed)
  • [20:28 UTC] approve code sprint guidelines http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Code_Sprint_Guidelines
    • MOTION: board to approve the Code Sprint Guidelines (passed)
  • [20:34 UTC] Make a formal motion about potential inactive Charter members
    • MOTION: Current OSGeo Charter members who have not voted in the last two board and charter elections will be invited (via email) to move from the current OSGeo-Charter member list to a Past OSGeo Charter Members list, and will loose their voting rights. These emailed members may either respond with a commitment to vote in future elections, or be moved. Not responding within 3 weeks would result in being moved. To be reintroduced to Charter member status, the past Charter member would need to be selected again using the standard Charter member selection process. (passed)
  • [20:50 UTC] Discuss OSGeo involvement with partner organizations
    • Suchith is doing a wonderful job at pushing the importance of Education, as well as the OGC-OSGeo relationship
    • ICA-OSGeo Labs celebrate today the 50th Lab.
    • (25th at 10am UK) there will be a conference call regarding this....hopefully with myself, Mark from OGC, Denise from OGC, Suchith, etc.. regarding OGC/OSGeo relationship. Arnulf i hope as well
    • these are meetings with an agenda, with specific goals (between the OGC-OSGeo relationship)...essentially this is continuing the momentum of our F2F dinner with the OGC
    • jmckenna: like it or not the president of both orgs should be meeting, talking. so i am hesitant to push this off. but i don't consider me a champion...i'm folllowing the lead of Suchith and you Anne.
  • [21:02 UTC] I proposed Anne as LocationTech liaison. (passed)
  • [21:05 UTC] Next meeting: november 14th
  • [21:05 UTC] meeting closed