Board Meeting 2021-04-26

From OSGeo
Jump to navigation Jump to search

This board meeting is scheduled Monday 26 April 2021 at 15:00 UTC through Jitsi, a record of motions is preserved on loomio and actions on osgeo todo issue tracker.


Current items

  1. roll call
    • appoint meeting chair, meeting scribe/secretary
  2. Review and approve past minutes
  3. Update on FOSS4G 2021
  4. Response from SAGANA about letter for sponsorship
  5. Sponsors (ending soon: Mundialis, not renewed for this year: aon)
  6. Free Software Foundation - should OSGeo make a response?
  7. Rajat Shinde <rajatshinde2303 at> Google Summer of Code discussion
  8. add your topic here


  • Presiding: Till
  • Scribing: Till, Codrina
  • Attending: Angelos, Astrid, Mike, Michele, Codrina, Helena, Vicky, Till.
  • Guests: Rajat Shinde (Google Summer of Code), Maria Arias (FOSS4G2021) and Regina Obe (SAC)

Google Summer of Code organization payment discussion

  • participation on behalf of GSoC: Rajat Shinde - chair of GSoC
  • There is a need of incentives for the mentors to join GSoC, as there is a lack of interest now.
  • There must be 2 mentors (main and secondary) for each project. This year, there were 22 proposals received, out of which they must select 10, as there are only 20 mentors.
  • Question: What can OSGeo do for the mentors? Until now, Google payment goes to OSGeo. What should OSGeo do? Proposals: pass money from OSGeo directly to mentor, free pass to FOSS4G

(Maria offers "We can offer discounts at least for them"), pass the money to the projects and they decide.

  • ACTION: Rajat prepares email with opportunities and requests board for decision/recommendation.

Update on FOSS4G 2021 (Maria from BALOC)

  • Giving up venue (to make online FOSS4G2021) negotiating was closed with payment of 1/4 of the

payment (~15k $).

  • Interest is good, normal no. of proposals for talks/workshops;
  • Few tickets sold (normal each year);
  • Passport info is needed when buying a ticket now in order to justify money movement to authorities. Maria tries to

check and change this.

  • The BALOC needs more help, as some of the team members are either infected with SARs-COV-2 or are taking care of an ill person.
  • The sponsorships are at a safe level, it may even allow to give more discounts to tickets.
  • There are discussions going with streaming providers to make sure that anyone from everywhere can participate;
  • There were some sponsors requesting participants' data - it has been completely denied.
  • ACTION: Till to push in the ConfComm to deny sharing participants data to sponsors for future conferences.
  • No action from the board needed.

Review and approve past minutes


Response from SAGANA about letter for sponsorship

  • Vicky talks about her ideas for getting more sponsors, i.e. having paid people to do that.
  • AE is interested to work on the topic.


  • ending soon: mundialis
  • ACTION: Till to contact mundialis so that they write a mail to OSGeo about what they are doing - sponsoring FOSS4G 2021 - so extending as OSGeo sponsor.
  • not renewed for this year - aon (Mike): aon has renewed for this year;

Free Software Foundation - vote passed to appoint Richard Stallman to a board seat

LDAP/WIKI accounts movement

  • Regina from SAC participated.
  • problems with merging old WIKI accounts to new LDAP for people with "_" in their username;
  • maybe more people have problems with merging their accounts due to other unidentified issues;
  • email to OSGeo general that explains the possible problems (Regina);
  • Astrid asks all board members to write write a mission for themselves, as it is possible now - and sets a good example.


  • meeting was held on Jitsi