Deegree Report 2008
- The deegree Project Steering Commitee (PSC) was instantiated in January.
- deegree 2.1 demo packages have been released in January, including OGC reference implementation for WMS 1.1.1 and 1.3.0 and WCS 1.0.0.
- The coordinate reference system component has been completely redesigned to meet the requirement to be highly configurable.
- Release management was formally installed and a release manager appointed by the PSC.
- deegree applied for OSGeo incubation and started the incubation process in May.
- Third deegree day successfully took place in Bonn in June with about 80 participants (http://deegreeday.deegree.org/archive).
- Work on the next major version (deegree 3) started.
- deegree 3 alpha has been released, containing SOS as a first ready-to-run demo.
- deegree 2.2 stable has been released in December.
Areas for Improvement
- Extend and improve documentation, create tutorials
- Increase involvement of the community
- Increase the number of contributors (code)
- Reduce the number of pre-releases within one release cycle
Opportunities to Help
- Test release candidates at an early stage
- Provide or improve documentation (e.g. QA by native speakers)
- Contribute to tutorial production process
- Actively contribute to deegree 3 development
- Share experiences with deegree
Outlook for 2009
- Release management to be refined
- A new build mechanism based on ant/ivy to be established
- deegree 2.3 to be released, including improved iGeoPortal GUI
- deegree iGeoDesktop preview to be published
- Fourth deegree day will be held on May 26th/27th, together with a local OpenStreetMap outreach activity
- More deegree 3 alpha versions to be released, including demo packages for SOS, WPS, WCS, WFS and WMS
- OSGeo incubation to be continued