EGU Lunchbag 2020
- 1 Ramp Up
- 1.1 General Information
- 1.1.1 Title of the event
- 1.1.2 Abstract
- 1.1.3 Organizing team (Draft) [add your name!]
- 1.1.4 Primary points of contact
- 1.1.5 URL
- 1.1.6 Venue / Time (confirmed)
- 1.1.7 Type of event
- 1.1.8 Expected Audience Size
- 1.1.9 Audience: Topical Background
- 1.1.10 Audience: Professional Level
- 1.1.11 Venue
- 1.1.12 Relevance for OSGeo (Draft)
- 1.1.13 Budget
- 1.1.14 Proposed Payment Method
- 1.1.15 Support by OSGeo
- 1.2 Preparation
- 1.1 General Information
- 2 Budget
- 3 Last years Lessons Learned
- 4 Execution (Cancelled)
- 5 Cancellation
Title of the event
OSGeo Lunchbag Event 2020: OSGeo Gathering of the Tribes [Working title] (SMP16)
Stub from 2019: The Open Source Geospatial Foundation, or OSGeo, is a not-for-profit umbrella organization for Free and Open Source geospatial tools, including QGIS, gvSIG, GRASS GIS, Geoserver and many others. OSGeo is hosting this Townhall event to support the collaborative development of open source geospatial software by promoting sustainable Open Science within EGU.
Organizing team (Draft) [add your name!]
Convener: Peter Löwe, Maxi Cannata, <whoelse?>
Primary points of contact
at Copernicus (conference organizer): Katja Gänger (egu2018 AT copernicus DOT org)
for Copernicus: peter.loewe AT gmx DOT de massimiliano.cannata AT supsi DOT ch
Venue / Time (confirmed)
Requested day: Wednesday , May 6 2020
Time: 12:45–13:45 hours
Estimated number of attendees: 26 + X ( seats in room + wiggle space on the floors)
Guestimate für lunchbg catering: 10-20 (to be narrowed down by info about attending OSGeoistas later)
Type of event
Lunchbag Meeting as an step forward after havin hosted Townhall sessions for 5 (?) years. The idea is to get away from the competition with other open software / data / etc. -related Townhalls which has sprung up since the first OSGeo TH started this kind of meeting format.
While there is no official definition of a Lunchbag meeting by EGU, they are a kind of specialisation of splinter meeting.
Expected Audience Size
10 - 40 people (very rough first guestimate). Room capacity is 26 seats. Significant overcrowding has been first-hand witnessed in formr years at popular splinter events.
Audience: Topical Background
Free Open Source Software from OSGeo projects affects most if not all EGU Divisions. Currently FOSS (OSGeo projects + R, GMT, etc.) is particularly strong in the Hydrology, Atmospheric Sciences, Earth and Space Sience Informatics and Tectonics Divisions.
Attendees are expected from the following fields (Academia, Research and Industry), according to the exisitng scientific EGU Divsions:
- Atmospheric Sciences
- Climate: Past, Present & Future
- Cryospheric Sciences
- Earth Magnetism & Rock Physics
- Energy, Resources and the Environment
- Earth and Space Science Informatics
- Geosciences Instrumentation and Data Systems
- Geochemistry, Mineralogy, Petrology & Volcanology
- Hydrological Sciences
- Natural Hazards
- Nonlinear Processes in Geosciences
- Ocean Sciences
- Planetary and Solar System Sciences
- Stratigraphy, Sedimentology and Palaeontology
- Soil System Sciences
- Solar-Terrestrial Sciences
- Tectonics and Structural Geology
Audience: Professional Level
- Early Career Scientists (Doctorate Students, PostDocs), Researchers, Activists, Leaders, Visionaries, Decision Makers, Funding Agencies, EGU staff,
- EGU GA location at the Vienna International Conference Centre, Austria
- Lunchbag meeting location: The townhall will be hosted in a dedicated lecture hall on the conference premises.
- Date and time: Wednesday, May 6 12:45–13:45 hours
- Room: 0.16
Relevance for OSGeo (Draft)
how will our participation help OSGeo
- Continuation and expansion of the "topical bridgehead" established within EGU by OSGeo Townhall series from 2014 to 2019.
- Raise awareness at and reach-out to the European geoscience community by hosting a dedicated public OSGeo event at the largest European geoscience conference.
- Reach out to young scientists starting their careers.
- Meeting place for people already active in OSGeo ("meta-BoF") as a large number of people congregates every year at the EGU GA.
- Reach out to decision makers/elders/scientific activists within the EGU Divisions.
- Culmination of the "FOSS day" at the EGU GA: The organizers are urged to to schedule all FOSS / OSGeo - related events on the same day. This will ensure we have a large audience and niceties such as "FOSS flashmobs" can be arranged for poster sessions. The "FOSS day" could and should be finished off with the OSGeo townhall, as a "multiplier/bring them all together" event.
- Peaceful und friendly coexistence: Propiertary platforms including Microsoft, Google and ESRI are also staging dedicated events during EGU GA.
- Awareness on the decision maker level: Significance of OSGeo within the emerging Data Science / Open Science debate ("-> OSGeo-tailored research programmes ?")
- Venue rental cost: none
- Catering cost: 2000 EUR / 2278 USD [Learned/Report for 2015] [required]
- Promotional material: 250 EUR / 285 USD (Posters/flyers announcing the event) [required] -> Lessons Learned from 2016 !
- Budget will be allocated within OpenGeoScience Committee budget as part of Open_Geoscience_Committee/budget_2020
- Costs: There were no costs due to the cancellation of the event becuase of the Corona pandemic.
Total requested amount from the upcoming OpenGeoScience budget: 2563 USD
Proposed Payment Method
- No seed money required
- All catering expenses (ca. 2000 USD) can be charged on the OSGeo Credit Card (as since 2014) before and after the event.
Support by OSGeo
- Finacial support
- Use of Logos
- Volunteers: Preparation phase, event hosting, presentations during the event (-> OpenGeoScience Committee).
- 2020-01-23: Wiki update: Adding of wikipage on EGU
- 2020-01-13: Confirmation of SMP 16 timeslot and room allocation.
- 2019-12-xx: Discussion on Open Geoscience Mailing List: Set up a Committee Budget for 2020, including a tab for the EGU event. Transition from Townhall format to Lunchbag.
- 2019-12-xx: Catering company has been approached on costs per person for a lunchbag meeting: 13 EUR and up p.pax.
- 2019-12-20: Budget 2020 submitted to OSgeo Board. Approval pending.
- 2020-01-09: Lunchbag Meeting timeslot for EGU Wednesday requested by COPERNICUS.
- 2020-01-08|09: Discussion on Board list wether a Board member should attend EGU. Negative outcome.
- 2020-03-11: Announcement by EGU/Copernicus that EGU2020 as a physical event has been cancelled-
- 2020-03-30: Announcement by EGU/Copernicus that all splinter events (including the lunch bag meeting) have been cancelled.
- Early Career Scientists
- EGU Data FAIR ("Ask me anything about data - Helpdesk" - a new format in 2020)
- Planetary and Solar System Science
- Solar-Terrestrial Science
- Hydrology ?
- Tectonics ?
- Workshops ?
- Great Debates ?
Reach out to DLR, NASA, ESA, etc.
Points of contact: tbd
EGU Announcement Poster / Flyer
Meeting with local OSGeo/OSM chapter and activists
- Suggestion of source material by Astrid Emde: FOSS4G_Belgium_2019_OSGeo_in_a_global_context
- 20191117: 2250 EUR have been requested as part of the Open GeoScience Committee budget 2020.
- 20200512: Due to the virtualisation of the EGU event, there were no expenses. The budget can be used for other events.
Last years Lessons Learned
- Avoid conflicts with Medal Lectures ! This year, the TH coincides with the ESSI Medal Lecture for Kerstin Lehnert. ESSI medal 2018
- Sync timeslots with Research Software Engineer TH.
- Avoid time conflicts with ECS great debates !
- Plan for a meeting with the austrian OSGeo community ahead in time (4-6 weeks).
- Paper-based information material is becoming deprecated for reach out before the TH.
- Personally handed over printed invitations (business card size or slightly larger) still do work.
- A "swag-store" for OSGeo-Stickers and badgets works well AT the TH
- Bring a large banner to be hung in front of the room
- EGU doesn't do MoU like AGU.
- EGU has already a large number of medals, like the [ESSI medal] which is already sponsored by ESRI - they will currently NOT yet another medal by OSGeo.
- Advertise well ahead on social media (LinkedIn, Facebook, etc.), via OSGeo mailing lists, OSGeo webpage (news item) and related communities, like RDA, FORCE11, codemeta, etc.
- Starting point: Astrid Emde has suggested to use the OSGeo presentation from FOSS4G Belgium as a base.
- The state of OSgeo prez from FOSS4G Bucarest could also be used.
2020-03-19: EGU has cancelled the physical General Assembly 2020 in Vienna
2020-03-30: EGU has cancelled all physical splinter meetings:
> Dear Peter Löwe, > (This email is sent to all conveners and co-conveners of your splinter meeting) > You were informed about the cancellation of the physical EGU General Assembly 2020 and that the new format EGU2020: Sharing Geoscience Online takes place instead. However, since splinter meetings are not part of the official scientific programme of the conference, Sharing Geoscience Online will not be able to provide a platform for your splinter meeting. > If applicable, you may consider organizing your own session through any online tools (e.g. Zoom or Skype). > We thank you very much for your understanding and we are looking forward to welcoming you back at the EGU General Assembly 2021 in Vienna. > > Kind regards, > Katja Gänger > Copernicus Meetings > email@example.com > > on behalf of the EGU2020 Programme Committee Chair >
Lessons learned 2020
- The online participation rate in 2020 was quite good (source: https://www.egu2020.eu/):
18,036 abstracts formed the programme with 701 scientific sessions, 11,380 presentation materials accompanied the abstracts and received 6,297 comments so. A fantastic number of 26,219 individual users joined our 721 live text chats and posted 200,400 messages. Furthermore, virtual live sessions, Union Symposia, Great Debates, Townhall Meetings, and Short Courses were successfully held, and several networking events gave our community members the chance to meet online and share their research and ideas.
- EGU 2021 will most likely become a hybrid event of phyiscal meetings in Vienna, augmented with virtual events.
- Opportunity for 2021: Development of a virtualised OSGeo-event as a video conference or similar. This would need to be done well in advance of the conference. Lowlight: No physical congregation with libations and nibbles (would a hybrid event make sense ?)