Geospatial World Forum 2016
OSGeo Joins Geospatial World Forum (GWF) as Supporting Organization.
News item from OSGeo Foundation
Join the session the emerging and evolving role of Open Source Technologies in geospatial domain on 24 May, 2016 (http://www.osgeo.org/node/1678) during
Geospatial World Forum
23-26 May, 2013 Beurs-World Trade Centre, Rotterdam The Netherlands http://www.geospatialworldforum.org
About the Session
OSGeo was created to support the collaborative development of open source Geospatial software, and promote its widespread use. Started in 2006, we celebrate this year our 10th anniversary. With more than 25 projects and 9 projects in incubation, OSGeo has a big impact on the Geospatial landscape.
As free software, the accumulated license cost of OSGeo remains very low, but this doesn't mean that there is a low impact. At the contrary. OSGeo software is being used in almost all Geo organisations. The real strength of the organisation is the diversity of the community, the projects and the fact that OSGeo is an inclusive software foundation.
As the new mission says: "Foster global adoption of open geospatial technology by being an inclusive software foundation devoted to an open philosophy and participatory community driven development."
The Open Source track will give an insight to the legal, technical and business perspectives of Open Source in the geospatial domain. It will highlight the role of the OSGeo Foundation with respect to highest quality software and security of investment into Open Source. In the technical talks industry representatives will present off-the-shelf Open Source solutions ready to use in any environment. Geospatial practitioners will present their use cases with best-of-breed Open Source software and show how to maximize return on investment.
The OSGeo event wants to reach out to the broader Geospatial public and promote the use and development of open geospatial technology. As the Geospatial World Forum is one of the most premier geospatial events in the world today, where all the important stakeholders are being gathered it is the ideal place for OSGeo to organise some strategic meetings and celebrate some of the successful community products. During our event we want to explain what and how you can be involved with OSGeo, and how you can benefit from it. For those already an active member and involved with Europe and INSPIRE we organise some specific workshops to continue our good work both subjects.
- Provide a forum to exchange idea's about the use of OSGeo software and the role OSGeo should play on a European level.
- Outreach to the geospatial professionals not yet heard about Open Source initiatives and open collaboration
- Celebrate the 10th anniversary of OSGeo by OSGeo projects presenting themselves with hints how to start being involved
- Policy makers
- Government Departments and public sector
- Academic and research bodies
- Geospatial Industry Experts
- GeoIT Solutions Providers
Workshop: OSGeo for INSPIRE / INSPIRE for OSGeo
During this workshop initiatives from the INSPIRE community will discuss with OSGeo community members to try to find a collaboration model to support the big challenges that INSPIRE has to cope with, and to turn them into opportunities for OSGeo initiatives to create win win solutions.
Workshop OSGeo Europe
A workshop to define the role and need to start with a local Chapter on a European level.
Outreach activity to present the role and products of OSGeo
Diverse presentations about the work and results of OSGeo from the last 10 years. The mission and vision for the next 10 years. The relationship with our different partners, our projects and how you can enjoy a relationship with OSGeo and how you can benefit from it.
The fee for the workshop is 25 euros per person and it’s a day pass for the whole exhibition but it doesn’t include lunch. There is a special registration form for OSGeo members on the website of the Geospatial World Forum: http://geospatialworldforum.org/online-registration-form.asp.
9:00 - 10:00 - Workshop - OSGeo for INSPIRE/ INSPIRE for OSGeo
Leda Bargiotti on behalf of Robin S. Smith – JRC
- 9:00 - 9:40 The INSPIRE ARE3NA Re3ference Platform - Leda Bargiotti
- 9:40 - 10:40 OSGeo projects and INSPIRE (3 projects testimonials)
- The HALE platform - Thorsten Reitz
- Open Layers - Till Adams
- OSGeo Projects an overview - Dirk Frigne
- 10:40 - 11:00 Discussion / conclusions next steps
- Technologie transfert
- Collaboration models
11:00 - 12:30 - OSGeo 10 year - celebration
- 11:00 - 11:30 OSGeo – mission and vision for the next 10 years - Dirk Frigne- Vice president OSGeo
- 11:30 - 11:50 OSGeo Live - a practical view on OSGeo - Johan Van de Wauw - President OSGeo.be
- 11:50 - 12:10 OSGeo for all – geo education for everybody
- 12:10 - 12:30 Open Street map – state of the map
12:30 - 13:30 - Workshop OSGeo Europe
- Role and need of a European Local Chapter of OSGeo
- Chair: Dirk Frigne
- Overview of recent discussions
- Discussion and next steps
- FOSS4G – Bonn why you should come - Till Adams
13:30 - 15:30
OSGeo Projects Examples how to start with OSGeo software in your organisation Benefits of working with open source based solutions
- QGIS - Johan Van de Wauw
- GRASS GIS (Till Adams)
- OpenLayers3 (Till Adams)
- postgis pointcloud icm; Tom Van Tilburg
- Live DVD - an overview of OSGeo projects
- Discussion: Benefits of working with open source based solutions
15:30 - 16:30
OSGeo , what's in it for you How to join, what to expect, how to help, how to benifit, why you?
16:30 - 18:00
Examples how to start with OSGeo software in your organisation
Benifits of working with open ource based solutions
unconference: up to 6 topics can be proposed during the session.