Introduction to Web GIS
An introductory course on web mapping and geospatial data infrastructures. Up: Educational Resources
The student is assumed to have completed the Introduction to GIS course.
- introduction to the web and its technologies
- web communities, collecting and sharing geospatial data
- storage of geospatial data
- web mapping server
- the browser as a web mapping client
- dedicated web mapping clients
The Resultados del Tutorial ISSTOCAM WebGIS show a way that course material might be developed collaboratively by the attendees of the course. Initially this actually might make you think it is like ripping off the attendees and misusing them as guinea pigs but its rather the other way round - who will know better how to improve course material if not the people failing to understand them in the first place. Maybe it would be helpful to create a Wiki of its own, otherwise pages should at least be heavily categorized so that people find their way around.
Freely downloadable texts are needed.
- Praxishandbuch WebGIS mit Freier Software German, GNU FDL, 2nd edition, Feb 2004 (needs updating)
- Spatial Data Management with PostgreSQL/PostGIS
Lecture slides are needed.
These need to have detailed instructions and pre-prepared datasets. Also instructions how to get and install the needed software.