MapServer incubation status
Jump to navigation Jump to search
MapServer is a graduated OSGeo project. This page is the archive of the incubation process.
- Has the project been approved for incubation by the OSGeo board?
- Yes, selected for "founding project" incubation by the OSGeo board.
- Has an Incubation committee member been assigned as Mentor?
- Yes, Chris Holmes has been assigned as MapServer incubation mentor.
- Has the projectname.osgeo.org domain been populated with the projects web presence?
- Yes, to a point. There is a basic page that points to our primary, plone-based, website.
- Is the OSGeo bug tracker being used for the project?
- Yes, we migrated to the OSGeo TRAC instance in late April 2007.
- Bug tracking repository moved?
- Is the OSGeo mailing list manager being used for the project?
- Yes, mailing lists including history have been migrated
- Is the OSGeo SVN or CVS system being used for the project?
- Yes, we migrated from CVS to the OSGeo SVN instance in early May 2007.
- Are binary and source downloads available from the OSGeo download area?
- Yes, source downloads (nightly and official releases) were moved to OSGeo in early May 2007.
- Is there a functioning user support mechanisms (ie. mailing list)?
- The mapserver-users mailing list is quite active and well posed questions often result in more than one helpful response.
- Are source and binary downloads for the package available?
- Yes, visit http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/
- Has a Project Steering Committee been formed, and given control of the project?
- Yes, the RFC transitioning our technical steering committee (TSC) to the PSC passed in April 2007. PSC membership is now complete.
- Does the Project Steering Committee have documentation on project procedures for PSC decisions, contributor guidelines, etc.
- Yes, see RFC's (for PSC, and committer rules at least). May need to review committer rules in light of tighter OSGeo policy.
- How many active developers are there? Are they from multiple organizations?
- Yes, approximately 15 committers are established from 10 or more organizations. See detailed list (updated 7/8/2008).
- Have project documents been updated to reflect membership in the foundation, and the relationship of the project to the foundation?
- Yes, the MapServer homepage indicates that the project is an OSGeo project. There are links to the OSGeo homepage and MapServer incubation documentation under community portion of the website.
- Has an effort been made to brand the project web site with OSGeo foundation web styling and branding marks?
- No, not yet. It feels like that should wait until graduation. At that point a OSGeo logo will be featured prominently on the MapServer home page.
Code Copyright Review
- Has a Code Provenance Review document been prepared for the project?
- Yes, a contributors list has been developed. A shared spreadsheet is being used to track provenance for MapServer proper and MapScript. A provenance task list is part of that work and is being used to track any issues uncovered.
- Have issues raised in the provenance review been adequately addressed?
- indicate outstanding issues.