Marketing Meeting 2010.04.08

From OSGeo
Jump to: navigation, search

This normal meeting is Thursday April 8th 07h00 UTC (late Wednesday 7th in some regions).

Agenda

  • Roll call
  • Review previous minutes: Marketing Meeting 2010.01.14
  • Add other items to agenda - open for discussion
  • FOSS4G Marketing ideas
    • Review FOSS4G logo/advert on project and chapter website pages. They are producing lots of flowthrough to the FOSS4G site.

Update on main projects:

  1. LiveDVD project
    1. Propose Sponsor endorsement guidelines for DVD print runs. See topic on mailing list. (Cameron)
    2. Production Budget for conference season? pricing
  2. Marketing Pipeline
    1. Defining templates for our marketing material from projects (Cameron - see email)
  3. Website concepts (Tyler/Wolf)
    1. secondary page idea
    2. Wolf's draft mockup
    3. Review the sitemap
  4. OSGeo Labs
    1. Ideas for brand utilization Talk:OSGeo Labs
  5. Events
    1. Portland & Tacoma events April (Tyler)
    2. AAG 2010 (Tyler/Alex)
    3. FIG, International Federation of Surveyors, Sydney, Australia. 11-16 April. OSGeo Booth + OS Presentation (Cameron)
    4. OSGIS Nottingham June (Tyler)
    5. CGS 2010 May (Alex)
    6. ACM Sigspatial 2010 Nov (Alex)
    7. What else are you going to...
  6. Marketing Material Samples (Tyler)
    1. Any other ideas or missing pieces?
  7. Exhibition Pack (Alex/Tyler)
    1. Producing a sponsorship invitation for exhibit packs? (Tyler)
  8. Other...
  9. Review time/date for next meeting

Minutes

Complete discussion logs here, meeting was only in IRC: here and here since it crosses midnight on the server

Action Summary

  1. TODO: Tyler to check library apps project sites and see if we can give them a FOSS4G banner ad to put up
  2. TODO: Tyler upload his printable sponsorship page for booths
  3. TODO: Cameron listing marketing requirements/opportunnities for projects
  4. TODO: finish general OSGeo branding of livedvd v3, price a print run for 200-300-disk
  5. TODO: setup labs subdomain, create landing page, prepare form for info about projects
  6. TODO: Bring labs topic to board next month

Detailed

22:59:50 (server time) Marketing meeting starts

  • In attendance: Tyler, Alex, Cameron, Jody
  • Review previous minutes: http://logs.qgis.org/osgeo/%23osgeo.2010-01-13.log
  • Briefly discussed finding new committee members - more folks need to be welcomed :)
  • Add other items to agenda - open for discussion
  1. FOSS4G Marketing ideas
    1. Review FOSS4G logo/advert on project and chapter website pages. They are producing lots of flowthrough to the FOSS4G site.
    2. TODO: Tyler to check library apps project sites and see if we can give them a FOSS4G banner ad to put up
      1. Alex, Tyler reviewed all project sites. Tyler sent note to PSCs pointing out value of adding a link.
    3. Link to logo from here: http://2010.foss4g.org/identity.php - preferably http://2010.foss4g.org/img/logocuadrado2.png with date of event
  2. LiveDVD project
    1. Propose Sponsor endorsement guidelines for DVD print runs. See topic on mailing list. ( Cameron )
      1. Discussed putting guidelines in place for marketing on the live dvd including guidelines for re-use. Co-branding is the challenge. If used verbatim, then keeping OSGeo branding in place is fine.
      2. Lots of discussion about how to handle co-branding. Clarified our position. If you're going to print the OSGeo flavor with our name and no modifications then you get a printed byline "Printing sponsored by...." and their logo.
      3. Keeping OSGeo foundation sponsors up front and clear on the disk is also important. Any other type of sponsorship goes on the digital sponors page on the disk, but not on front. In short, focus any co-branding only for companies that pay for printing of the disks.
    2. TODO: Tyler upload his printable sponsorship page for booths
      1. "When printing the OSGeo Live DVD, it is appropriate for the sponsor funding the printing to add "printed by XXX" with no other modifications to the materials" "If said sponsor wishes to modify the disc and branding they must remove all Trademarks of OSGeo".
    1. Marketing Pipeline (Cameron)
      1. Discussing the different types of marketing sources and material that we would want from projects.

Defining our list of deliverables we expect from each project, to be added to graduation checklist.

      1. TODO: Cameron listing marketing requirements/opportunnities for projects
      2. Some question about our committee's ability to use/implement material supplied by projects in a timely manner.
    1. TODO: finish gneeral OSGeo branding of livedvd v3, price a print run for 200-300-disk
      1. Tyler wants a small run for his own reference. OSCON, CUGOS meetings, etc might use some. Potentially making a fancy cool version would make a neat door prize.
  1. OSGeo Labs
    1. Ideas for brand utilization Talk:OSGeo Labs http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Talk:OSGeo_Labs
    2. Questions: We aren't actively inviting/recruiting projects, and OSGeo labs has no specific mandate. By making it a more formal opportunity... are we just going to frustrate people by not having enough systems support??
    3. Code hosting etc is specifically on an availability basis not guaranteed, aiming to make a nice landing page for these friendly projects. Keeping promises low but encouraging driving marketing and networking back to OSGeo.
    4. TODO: setup labs subdomain, create landing page, prepare form for info about projects
    5. TODO: Bring labs topic to board next month

00:25:36 Meeting adjorned! sleep well : )