OSGeo Hardware Hacking
( Just a place where I'm storing some notes for a future presentation. )
Two components in this talk:
- Basic microprocessor platform
- Various input/outputs
- Lightweight programming
- Set up with common HID protocols for cross platform operating system support, if desired
- Interfacing with server side Python for restructuring output
A few of the sensors we used in our experiments:
- GPS (Garmin eTrex venture)
- digital compass module
- accelerometers (wii nunchuk)
Depending on needs there are various methods for communicating sensor info back to desktop software. Here are some experiments we made with a few packages.
QGIS / GRASS
- XML stream is used to control camera
- GPS locates the camera, basic programming allows 'circling' camera at position
- Digital compass - allowed panning 'left/right'
- accelerometers allowed 2 axis panning
- Spherical computations
- Fusion of sensors
- Find a protocol to use - augmented reality markup?
- Build an aircraft or a head mounted display system